Why am I having such a hard time planning meals for the week?

I used to plan meals for 2 wks at a time since I went grocery shopping every other week. And that was when I had 5 to feed. Now that it is only my dd and I, it's like I have completely forgotten how to plan meals.

I want to go shopping tonight or tomorrow for the whole week and I just don't have a clue.

HELP!

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 10:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Food & Drink

• This happens to me either when I've not had to cook for awhile or when I'm just tired of having to make a plan. I ask the kids what they want for dinner or DH, they usually aren't any help. I have a notebook in my kitchen where I keep recipes and meal ideas. I have at least 30 meals listed so I look at that for ideas sometimes or I check the sales in the grocery flyers or online. Publix has a good website for their weekly ads.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Wait until you're hungry then the meals will fly at you!
    Have you tried looking up Cooking for two recipes?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I wish I could help, but I'm struggling with the same thing this week. I've got the meat bought but I'm running low on stuff to go with it, and I never know what to make because between the two kids and their picky eating, somebody's going to gripe and moan no matter what I fix.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I ate McDonald's like 5 times this week. I am desperate for normal food!!!
    I just planned out:
    Shrimp Scampi over Spaghetti Squash
    Potatoes & Keilbasa
    Steak and Loaded Baked Potatoes
    Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
    Honey Sesame Chicken over Rice
    French Bread Pizza

Also for snacks: Chocolate caramel cake in a mug
    Homemade Mozzarella Sticks.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I find it much harder in the summer, because I often don't feel like having anything hot, so that rules out 95% of what I normally cook, and then we end up having sandwiches, or a salad, or both, depending on the day.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2013