I have heard some extremely stupid comments, speeches etc... but this comment from Nancy Pelosi really tops that list....

Nancy Pelosi: We Need More Gun Control To “Protect And Defend” The Constitution!

As if Nancy Pelosi could get any worse. Now, she’s calling for more gun control to “protect and defend” our Constitution...Yes, you read that correctly. Here is what she said in a recent press release:
..."“In Congress, there can be no more fitting memorial to the lives lost in Aurora, in Newtown, and across the country than a concerted effort to enact common sense gun safety legislation,” she said on the one year anniversary of the Aurora tragedy. We must uphold our oath to ‘protect and defend’ the Constitution and all Americans by expanding background checks and keeping dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands,” she continued. “We must restore confidence in the safety of our homes, schools, movie theaters and neighborhoods by taking clear, concrete steps to prevent gun violence.”

WTF?? Is that like saying like saying in order to ‘protect and defend’ our First Amendment rights Congress needs to pass onerous censorship laws that restrict one’s ability to speak openly and freely? I'd rather they focused on criminal and violent nutjob control instead of looking for new ways to make hard working citizens INTO criminals. I also find it funny that mental health reforms have all but disappeared from the debates.....
The missing VILLAGE IDIOT has been found in DC....

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• All you have to say is Nancy Pelosi and I know I'm about to hear something stupid, but she outdid even herself with this.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Personally I thought her comment on "We need to pass this bill so you can find out what is in it" remark is just as stupid if not more stupid than that one.
    marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 11:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Needless to say, being what feels like the only bleeding heart progressive liberal lefty on CM, I agree with her. I think strict background checks are needed. And personally I think any magazines over 10 rounds should be banned, and I think there is no need for people outside of the military to have assault rifles.  I know most of you don't agree. This is just my feelings about the subject.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I think you didn't see this post and the absolute stupidity of her speech.

.." We must uphold our oath to ‘protect and defend the Constitution.."
    Obama is the one who is supposed to protect our constitution. When he took office, he had to take an oath of office..." “I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
    But so far he has failed miserably in that regard.

..."expanding background checks and keeping dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands..."
    These laws are already there. The govt needs to enforce those laws. So why does the govt makeup new laws instead using the ones that already there? Makes no sense. And the guns will still fall into the wrong hands. Look at Chicago. They had really strict gun laws! Ranked 2 or 3 rd for the toughest laws.

cont
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 3:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Look back last year. Chicago has 402 homicides. Up to 80% of Chicago's murders and shootings are gang-related. When they had the assault weapons banned, didn't work, and no noticeable drop in crime rate.
    And all this gun control will make even harder for the good citizens to get a firearm, but the bad guys will always have access to a firearm. And Chicago doesn't even have a gun store!

...“We must restore confidence in the safety of our homes, schools, movie theaters and neighborhoods by taking clear, concrete steps to prevent gun violence...."
    Does she seriously think that the police can protect us? How can we defend ourselves with a weapon when a bad guy breaks into your house?? All this mean is that the law abiding citizens will just be a bigger target.

"
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 4:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• " I think there is no need for people outside of the military to have assault rifles."musicmaker
    By definition, the term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s. The AR-15's is the gun the guy used in Newtown, Virginia Tech, Columbine etc. And the assault rifle is moire of a fully automatic gun and sometimes it can be used as a semi automatic.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 5:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Musicmaker you are not alone. I also agree with stricter background checks and magazines over 10 rounds should be banned.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I don't need the government's protection. At least not the kind of help she is talking about. I agree the existing laws need to be enforced. no more are needed. The thing about more gun control is that there will always be criminals who will steal a weapon even from an authority figure. Think how many guns are coming in illegally from Mexico. How many police officers, security guards, government agents carry firearms? Those weapons can be stolen and used against us. Nancy Pelosi needs to live like a regular citizen, perhaps in Chicago, and read the Constitution before she suggests anymore laws. She's the village idiot that encouraged the un"affordable care act" be passed "so we can find out what is in it." In other words, yes, she's an idiot.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I agree that enforcing current gun laws on the books would be the best first start before pushing more legislation they will end up ignoring after making the public think they are doing something to stop these events from happening. However, this isn't the most stupid thing I have heard her say. There just simply isn't enough time today to cover her 26 years.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

•  the founding fathers are either rolling in their graves or laughing at the absurdity of it all

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2013