I am so sick of being "chained" to my phone. How often do you go without your phone? Do you worry about emergencies?

My husband is such an ass. If he tries to call me and I don't answer my phone right away he pitches a fit. A couple of years ago, I was at work and was talking with a parent (I worked at a daycare then). He called me from our son's after school care, disguised his voice and said that it was the daycare and that there was an emergency with my son. As soon as I finished talking with the parent, I checked my voice mail and received the message. I immediately called and the owner of the after school care program said that no one called and that my husband had picked up our son. This is just one of many examples. I accidentally left my charger at work. I have been very conservative with my phone this weekend but my mom called me tonight and my phone died. I was just about to go to bed when I checked my Facebook and my husband sent me a message-

"Answer your phone/charge it or just turn it on but I'm tired of it going straight to voice mail if this was an emergency you could not be contacted"

This is actually one of his more pleasant messages about my phone. I am just so damned sick of it and don't know what to do. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• I rarely use my phone. I miss text messages from my friends all the time and they whine that I take forever to respond. Oh well!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• OMG! Controlling much!

I refuse to carry my phone around everywhere I go. If I'm at work, my phone stays in my purse.
    If I receive a call from home, I KNOW it's an emergency!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• My thoughts exactly PMSMom10. That's the only thing that he is controlling about though. I don't know if it steams from when he was in the military and he had to be able to be reached asap, or what. 

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• For me necessary for work or emergency. I really do not like to have the phone ring.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Doubt it, sounds more like insecurities to me.
    I was in the military and I don't expect anyone to be at my beckon call.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I understand completely. I have a cell phone, but I carry it only for safety and have tried very hard not to give out the number. I don't want to have it at all, but I take it with me when I go out. As far as emergencies, I grew up before cell phones and answering machines. If you went out and someone called, your phone at home rang an rang till the person figured out you weren't going to answer and tried back later. If an emergency came up, you found out when you got home. Occasionally this might be a bad thing, especially if you have kids. But in my experience with emergencies that have happened while I was out and about, being instantly available by cell phone wouldn't have changed anything.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Give up your phone for a week. Tell him if someone is on fire or bleeding, the hospital will notify him.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Wow, how did we ever exist before cell phones. He needs to get over himself.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I don't even have a phone!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Is this your husband or your ex?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2013