Nail biting

I have a horrible habit of biting my nails when I'm stressed (so.. pretty much all the time) and now my 16 month old has the same habit. Is she stressed or just copying me? and does anyone else's LO bite their nails this young?

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 4:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is probably just copying you. Put vinegar on your nails to remind you not to bite.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• omg my 22 month old does the same thing and noone i know bites their nails. she also bites her toe nails, i thought maybe i wasnt clipping them enough so they were getting too long and buggin her so she started biting them, but that wasn't it. so i talked to my natrapath and she said that like any other habit it's something they picked up and you silmpy have to break it like you would anything else.

sometimes she even bites them until they bleed so stop him while he's young because it a big problem at my house.
    Raesabell

Answer by Raesabell at 4:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I never stopped my son and now he's 10 and it's distorting his teeth! I've let it go for too long and wish I hadn't. But he also has severe stress and anxiety as a trigger. I've tried the stop biting polishes, oils, sprays, everything! Good luck!! Maybe if you take them to the doc and let another adult tell them to stop?
    ny_momof3

Answer by ny_momof3 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2009