do you wish they had let you push baby out in a different position?

Most women push baby out via the lithotomy position(reclined) but there are other postions too. would you out use that position again? anybody deliver baby lying on side?

hypersquirrel

Asked by hypersquirrel at 4:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I didn't lay down with either of my vaginal births. First one I used the squat bar- I guess I was on my back but my feet were above my head and pulled my self down towards the end of the bed. So basically my feet were over my head, knees behind my ears! . Go figure.
    Second one was delivered on the floor in a birthing chair. It was not comfortable but it was quick. Youch.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• if i didnt have an epi (im planning on not having one next time) im going to do it squating... i heard that was the most comfortable
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• They don't make you lay anyway. It's just natural to do that because that's what we see.
    Anonymous

• Ughhhhhh

See...they had a pillow under my hip to keep one side elevated. My labor was 13.5 hours. It was HORRIBLE while I pushed, my back was hurting so bad by that point. My epidural was fabulous for getting rid of contraction pain...but good lord, that's almost all I remember from the 1.5 hours of pushing...back paaaaaaaain.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was told by my child psychology prof. that the only reason we lay the way we do was because Louis the XIV wanted to see all of his kids being born..now we lay that way so the Dr.'s can see what's going on.. but it's more natural for us to be sqatting or on all fours, that way gravity is working with us and that's how most mammals deliver babies. I'm sure you can do whatever you want as long as you clear it with your Dr. first.
    Mom2vanna

Answer by Mom2vanna at 4:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• When I walked in at 8cm, they offered the epidural--I refused. Less than an hour later, I was ready to push. I asked the nurse to sit the bed up, then I asked again when she stared at me. I pushed for 10 minutes sitting up. Gravity helped a lot. I'll either do it that way again or maybe in a tub.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009