WWYD if your adoption was illegal?

Lifetime has an adoption movie coming up called Baby Sellers.
Wwyd if your adoption was illegal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• As heartbreaking as it would be, I would work with authorities to determine if the child could be legally adopted or needed to be returned to its parents.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Considering my adoption happened nearly 50 years ago and my adoptive parents have died, and my birth parents could well be dead too... Nothing at all.

I know that's not what you're asking, though. To be honest, I wouldn't go through the adoption process as it exists now. It's become all about money.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• If I found out I would do all I could to ensure my child remained in our care. It would not be her fault and after eight years as us as the only parents she ever knew it would not be in her best interest to return to her birth family. I would allow an open arrangement with supervised visitation and phone contact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I really don't know. I'm sure this is a common nightmare for all adoptive parents.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I would have to do what the law said and give the child back. It would be hard though!

Answer by louise2 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• My daughter is now adopting and we have done everything through the court system, this is the only way to make sure your adoption is legal.

Answer by older at 11:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Even the court system isn't a guarantee for anything. We raised our grandson from age 2 until he was almost 4 after the courts terminated mom & dad's rights. Then they found out they goofed up and re instated dad's rights. 2 months later he was gone and we had nothing as the courts couldn't even recognize us as his grandparents due to mom losing her rights. It's a goofed up system. Each case should be taken on the best interests of the child and NOT the parent. We're adults we understand that life isn't fair but a child doesn't understand being taken from the only home they know and love. There needs to be something that can be worked out perhaps the same as a couple divorcing. We're lucky in that the dad lets us see him a couple times a year but since he lives in another state it's several hours driving to get there but well worth it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• If I were adopted and found out it was illegal, I can't imagine I would do much, at this point but wonder.
    If I adopted a child it would be done through the court system and so it would be legal.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• It would be awful, but I guess I'd have to try and figure out, along with theauthorities and both families, what course of action would be best for the innocent child involved. It couldn't be about me and what I wanted.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2013