Let's discuss ANTIDEPRESSANTS...

Do you take them?
Which one are you on - and what are "or" were your side affects?
helpful or not for you?
thnx!

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Health

• For me, there wasn't a lot of choice about taking antidepressants. I've battled chronic depression since I was a teenager, and without medications I lose my ability to cope. As in, I'll stay in the house and not get dressed, and sometimes even find it hard to get out of bed, for days or weeks at a time. So for the sake of holding a job and raising a family, meds seem to be the most logical approach. I've been on most of the medications out there, looking for a good fit. Paxil was the best for me by far, but I had to quit taking that because I put on twenty-five pounds in two years from it, and I didn't want my massive body force to start affecting the gravitational pull of the earth and moon. Zymbalta worked well too, but it was too expensive. Right now I'm using Cytelapram (sp?), which isn't bad as far as killing libido goes. When I got pregnant, I did go off the meds as long as necessary without too much trouble.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• i don't take them but, id like to see the answers. aren't the statistics like 1 out of every 3 women in the US take antidepressants? i probably should be taking them for my anxiety but in all honesty i'd rather suffer before going on an antidepressant. im not judging or knocking women who do take them, that's just my personal preference. i don't take birth control pills either (not that i have to worry about that anyway lol)... i typically stay away from any pharmaceutical drug except antibiotics when necessary.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I don't take them anymore. It sucks to go on them and coming off is a physical and mental hell from which I never hope to return. Not only did they kill my libido, they caused weight gain and the inability to real feel any emotions whatsoever. I've been on Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lexapro. Obviously they don't work for me. I haven't been on anything since September 2012 and it took about 6 months to really be myself again. I get episodes of depression but I'm not going on meds for it ever again.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I have taken them at times of great stress - when having marital problems with my ex, when I was going back to school full time and working part time, and right after I got married and had my 4th child. I was on prozac, welbutrin then zoloft. Wellbutrin was the one that worked best for me. I didn't notice any huge side effects from any of them. I prefer to not be on medications unless I need them so right now I try to control my depression through lifestyle. I meditate, make sure I exercise regularly and try to avoid unnecessary drama in my life. Most of the time, although I can feel the depression still in the background (and some days I feel it more than others!), it seems to be enough that it doesn't rule my life.

Answer by missanc at 4:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Nope, I don't take them. I don't think I am depressed (figuring I would probably know if I were). I have a fear of depression. Well, not like a phobia kind of fear, but because I hate taking medications and I can't imagine living with the deep depression that has been described to me by others that are suffering from depression.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Of course the one thing I deal with regarding SSRI's is the lack or loss of sex drive. Pheromones can help that naturally. A whiff of pheromones will level out the amount of serotonin in your system (which inhibits sex drive) so you can respond sexually again, the way you did before the meds.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Just from the commercials does not sound worth it, let alone fix one thing and get something worse. Read the labels or check out reviews on www.webmd.com     Even there they push med.  I do not like the med

by2013

Answer by by2013 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• When our son was sent to Iraq the first time, he was 19 then, 26 now, I was a complete basket case. The Dr prescribed me Citalapram. I had it filled then became depressed that I came home with meds, lol
    I never took one of them. I decided to make everyone in my world miserable with me. God bless my family and friends for standing by me!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Shortly after my ex left me, I was talking with my counselor and telling her that I was just so tired of crying every day. If I didn't have my kids and it was the weekend, I wouldn't even get dressed or get out of bed, let alone leave my apartment. She suggested it was time to get some help, if only just for now. I saw my dr and he prescribed something (i don't remember what) but it actually gave me more suicidal thoughts. He decided to put me on citalapram (i believe) as it would help me with anxiety as well. We had to mess with the dosage a bit, but once it was working the way it was supposed to, it really helped. The only side effect I remember was drowsiness but since I was having trouble sleeping, that was actually a good thing. Once I stopped crying all the time, I was able to focus and work on taking steps to changing my lifestyle.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I haven't taken any in a long time. Every once in awhile, I have trouble with anxiety so I take Valerian Root. That stuff is amazing.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2013