does anyone know why u cant give triaminic or dimetapp to children under six anymore? I'm raisng my 31/2 yr old grandaughter and i remember when her mom was young I would give them triaminic

or Dimetapp that was in the early to mid 90's now there is nothing out there but Claritin

firstgigi

Asked by firstgigi at 2:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Parents were using it to drug their children to sleep & many children died as a result. Speak to the child's MOTHER or PEDITRICIAN before giving any medication to the child.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Call your pediatrician. Atone time there was talk about the alcohol content but to be honest I have not had to deal with that in years and have not kept up on it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• My pedi said we could use Dimetapp when dd was young, but you should consult with a nurse or dr first.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I believe my pediatrician said children don't need the antihistamines in stuff like Nyquil, so maybe that's the reason?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Do not ever give OTC meds to a young childbirth out dr consent. I know I haven't seen Trimenic on the shelves in a long time. I assumed it was recalled. You need to contact the pedi.

Just FYI....things are not the way they use to be back when my mother was raising me. You might wantbt visit your kcal library and pick up that Toddler Years book. I can't recall the name of it. Why to expect when your expecting: toddler years...lot something like that.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Never hurts to call the pediatrician and ask what they would recommend.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Those medications should be dosed by weight. Parents weren't doing that, were giving them too much too often, and the kids got overdosed. If Mom doesn't okay it, I wouldn't do it. Having said that, we do keep cough medicine made for six and up for our four year old ODD, we have dosing instructions from her ped based on her weight and height; this is only because she has severe allergies and when she develops a cough it is a long round of nebulizers and steroids with a high risk of pneumonia if we don't shake it early. I use it only when her cough is frequent, persistent, unresponsive, and unproductive- I have had to give it to her maybe three times in the past year. If her ped hadn't okayed it, I wouldn't have even considered giving it too her.

And I remember Triaminic. That stuff was some of the nastiest stuff to take, it actually made my brothers and I physically sick to our stomachs :P
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Many cold medicines from the 1990's contained phenylpropanolamine, a decongestant, and tons of cold medicines had this substance in them, a study from Yale in the late 1990's showed many people had bleeding into the brain from PPA, causing very young people to
    suffer strokes. So, it became a health hazard and most cold medicines do not have PPA in them anymore.
    Dimetapp being one of them, triaminic as well and others, such as AlkaSeltzer cold medicine.
    bethisonline

Answer by bethisonline at 5:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2014