Are the mail people supposed to do this?

My in laws are out of town and asked me or my dh to go by their house and feed their bird. Well...the mail person left a package, I'm assuming Saturday, in their driveway. Well, some neighborhood dogs tore into it and there is a mess of whatever was in the package all in their yard. Are mail people supposed to leave a package if you don't answer the door? The reason I know it wasn't today is b/c as I was leaving their house, the mail man put stuff in their mailbox. Needless to say, my fil is going to be pissed.

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Dard- she said the dogs were from the neighborhood- she was there to take care of a bird.

OP: First of all, sorry for your family's loss.

2nd- yes, as the others have said, unless it requires a signature, it can be left. Hopefully, whatever it was can be replaced, either by contacting the company it was ordered from, or by disputing it thru their credit card.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• If the package isn't marked to be signed for, yes, that can indeed happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• When we use to get enough mail to be concerned about and left town we would ask the carrier to hold it at the post office.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• They should have stopped their mail.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• We get packages left all the time. Even when I'm home, he's already halfway to the truck before I can answer the door.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I don't know if they are supposed to but it happens often. Last Christmas we went out of town and a pkg was sent to us and they left it outside on the porch, thankfully my neighbor took it in their house until we came home.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Yeah.. they leave packages outside for us all the time.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Yes if it doesn't have to be signed for then we leave it. They should have put their mail on hold. A note in the box would have been enough. " Carrier could you please hold our mail we will pick it up when we get back." Then they just sign the note. Also you can put your mail on hold at usps.com
    daps

Answer by daps at 3:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Yep, as long as it isn't supposed to be signed for they can leave it on the front porch.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Yes, if it does not require a signature for delivery then what ever doesn't fit in the mailbox is delivered to the door. If there is no answer then they leave it outside the front door.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2013