My plans for leaving dh

I am getting all my things arranged and planning on leaving around income tax time. I have been a SAHM for 14 years, so I have started a business at home to get better off financially. He does not know about it and I have been putting the money aside. After he finds out about it and we divorce will he be able to get half of that money I have saved? I was going to use it for a down payment on a house when the kids and I move out. Do I need to wait until after we are divorced before I buy the house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Money & Work

• You better hide that money well. Cause if he finds out about it. Yes, you will have to give hime some. Depends on what state you are in.
    What I would do is not buy the house right away. Rent for a couple of years. Make it seem like you saved it after the divorce. Do you know anyone you can trust. You can put it in their account. So it will not be in your name? If he gets a lawyer and he finds it. Their goes you savings.

Answer by louise2 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I agree, I would put it in someone else's account.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Do you have your own bank acct. or it stuffed in the mattress? Buried in the backyard? How are you hiding it from him? As for buying the house, of course you need to wait until after the divorce. Otherwise it will be considered a marital asset & subject to division. Have you talked to a lawyer yet? You may want to do that. Call your local bar assoc. for a free or low cost consultation with a divorce lawyer so you can get all your ducks in a row, the right way. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I do have my own account, he doesn't know about it. Thanks for the advice ladies!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• contact a divorce layer.... most will do a free initial consult. Right now that money is a marital asset and depending on the laws in your state may be subject to division. You need to hide it well!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I totally agree ith Louise! Btw, his lawyer will find your account during the divorce. Best rid of the acct ASAP and fond omewonewvyou cn trust, such as your parents,etc.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Good for you, taking charge of your life. What I would recommend is to put the mony into someone else's account. I started a business and put the money I made in my parents' account while I got on my feet after my divorce, and then my parents gifted me back the money later so I could pay down on a condo. I know it seems underhanded, but it was the only way I could figure out to handle everything so I didn't lose my Disability income while I was trying to dig out of the hole I ended up in when my marriage ended. Also, I would recommend getting a credit card in your own name, without your husband on it. When I tried to get my power and phone set up after my divorce, the companies wanted bi deposits because I had no credit. Even one account in your name will help.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I assume you live in a community property state so, yes, that is half of his money. You should wait until the divorce is final before you purchase real estate, otherwise that also becomes community property (not to mention he would have to sign on the escrow docs).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• All marital assets have to be declared to the court when you divorce.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• So you are telling her to hide this money. Would you be OK with the husband doing the same thing?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2013