Do you make your younger children (age 4,5,6 or so) clean up everyday?

l usually make my 5 year old pick up about once a day. All his toys, books and paper that he strews all over. Then I ususally ask him to clean his room and straiten his bed.

We have a check chart and if he does a good enough job without complaining then he gets either a .25 .50 .75. or a dollar check mark depending on the cleaning and how much and how well he did.

When he accumulates enough he can buy what he wants. Last month he bought a new ds game.

So, am I too harsh or what? Do you think this is good or bad for kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• There's a difference between being on your own and learning new things, and basically being thrown to the wolves, moving out on your own with no life skills. To do that to your child, to refuse to teach them life skills and basically make them dysfunctional as adults, unable to succeed on their own, unable to tend to their own basic needs, is lazy at best (because it's often easier to just do it yourself than to take the time to teach your child to do it, or to make it something fun that you do with your child), and at worst, it's a selfish way to keep them babies, dependent on you forever.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:30 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think this is great for kids. Both my boys have chores and they are 4 and 8. My daughter helps me with stuff but she is 20 months so it's only when she really wants to and it's things like closing the dryer door for me and stuff like that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I dont make mine start chores until they are 7.

Answer by gemgem at 4:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My daughters are 3 and they make their own bed and pick up their own toys after playing. They also fold the dish towels when they come out of the dryer.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• What a good mommy and daddy you guys are. I think it will help him learn the value of money. Way to go!!
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 4:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son has been cleaning up his own toys since he started walking. When he was 10 months old he started walking and would spread his toys all over. We made it a game for him to pick his stuff up before bedtime. He loved it. Over time it became a routine and he just simply picked up after himself. He is 6 now and he is expected to make his bed. Put his laundry in his hamper, pick up his toys when he is finished with them, do his homework, do his 30 minutes of reading. He is also expected to put his clean laundry in his own drawers. He is not harmed by this and plays as much as his friends do. We just make sure he is learning responsibility while he is young so we don't have to fight him when he is a teen and suddenly expect him to start doing chores. We are teaching him to do things for himself and look after himself. Kids who don't have any chores are have a huge disservice done to them.

Anonymous

• i have a chart with teeth brushing hair brushing making his bed and cleaning the toys up each day he fills the chart up i give him fake $ when he gets up to 20$ he gets a speshal day out ( movies partygym bounce u things like or he can pick out a toy but he has to have enough fake$ to buy his toy of choice we also have a sticker chart for a sticker for a full day of being good when thats filled i have a basket of party toys (like for goodiebags) that he can pick from but he is responsabul for his toys room and bed and gets extra stickers when he helps me:)
    kris10npj

Answer by kris10npj at 4:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 20 months and we've made a game of picking up her toys everyday. The earlier you start, the better. We sing a song and pick-up toys together. I haven't been feeling well and all I have to do is sing the song and she starts picking up her toys.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No, not harsh imo.

My children (almost 5 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old) will help pick up toys sometimes. Depends on how bad it is in my living room, where they usually play LOL.

They arent always cooperative about doing so but I just lead them and they do it and we sometimes sing the clean-up song and that motivates them too.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I do this everynight... After they have been playn all over the house it looks like crap.. So as i tuck JB in to bed Dude picks up... If i waited and let JB help it would be worse then when Dude started.. I think it is good for him...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009