Side dishes?

This month has been really tight financially. My stepson is a growing teen who eats like, well, like a growing teen. I get paid by the job, and sometimes there's just too much month at the end of the money.

I have the meat for the week bought--hamburger and pork chops that were on clearance--but I can't go to the store again till Saturday and I don't have much to go along with the meat. I'm looking for side dish ideas. I've got half a package of dry spaghetti noodles, a bit of rice, some frozen French fries. I've got Cheddar cheese, cream soups, a carton of chicken broth, canned mushrooms, and frozen green beans and peas. That's pretty much it. What would all of you kitchen goddesses suggest I make?

Sorry, I feel stupid asking this, but this month just sort of sapped me.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I also had growing boys. Three of them teens at the same time!!! A cheap and filing dish is: brown hamburger. Mix in cream soups, onions, peas, etc. Spread in casserole dish, top with French fries or tator tots then cheese. Bake at 350 about a half hour or so. Serve with ketchup for dipping! My kids loved it
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• got potatoes?
    latkes are always filling

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• you can make some mushroom soup rice if ya have that soup with some of those frozen veggies added to it cooked with some broth as well
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• You could put the soup and noodles together.

Answer by louise2 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• If you have eggs and flour etc you can make breakfast for dinner with pancakes or waffles if you do those and eggs.
    You can bulk out the soups with noodles
    If I am going to use ground beef like in spaghetti I simmer the meet in water and then use the water for the basis of a broth/ first course.
    You can make mushroom crepes
    If you have anything tomatoey you can mix it into a sauce (or use a white sause) and pour over the bread or the rice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Do you have a food pantry that you can maybe pick up something?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Making things stretch can be a chore and stressful. But, I might suggest a very easy throw together recipe and u might even substitute the hashbrowns for the frozen fries mentioned above.

1 bag frozen hash browns
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup (do not add water)
    2 cups sour cream
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    Mix all ingredients in large bowl, transfer to your casserole baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 min's or until your cheese is lightly browned......mmmm :)
    B.Conley75

Answer by B.Conley75 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I used to make a porkchop rice casserole.
    Porkchops, a pack of onion soup, mushrooms and rice.
    Broil the porkchops for 5 minutes or sear them in a pan.
    Mix 1 cup rice, a 4 oz can of mushrooms, the packet of onion soup mix, and 3 cups hot water in the bottom of a 13 by 9 baking dish. Put the porkchops on top and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• You could possibly sub a different kind of canned soup, and lessen the amount of water in it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• You could add the peas to it too if you want!
    PartyGalAnne