How old were your kid(s) the first time you went away for a night?

We plan to go to the Island for a night and I am feeling real anxious about it. I am normally a very anxious person BUT my kids are 4 & 6 and my 4yr old has already cried for me not to go...it killed me inside : ( and we don't go for another week argh! I am trying to take babysteps as my DH says, and its a night for us to get away, it is so hard for me to go, this is crazy! anyone feel like this the "first" time??

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• probably a year old for our anniversary. I bawled for the first half hour after we left.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I had to get my gallbladder out when my daughter was about ten weeks old. So that was her first night with a sitter. My cousin took her that night. My boyfriend and I went away for a weekend when the baby was about four months old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• We haven't done the whole "get away for a night" thing. But I did take a week and went to a retreat nearly two years ago. So I was away 7 days. My husband took a week off from work and stayed with the kids. Our sons had just turned 3 (two weeks earlier) and our oldest was 7 at the time.
    Last weekend, they went on an overnight with their dad & I stayed at home. So my husband & the kids were gone for just over 24 hours. (The boys had just turned 5 and my daughter is 9.)
    But they haven't had a babysitter while we're both away. Still, a full week was a long time to be without Mom! And I had some pangs & discomfort as I drove away, for sure!

You just have to go through whatever comes up. Know that upset feelings (your 4yo) are normal & okay, not something you need to fix or solve, or even adjust your plans because of, but something to be present with & acknowledge. Listening is the best thing you can do. "I know," & "Yeah."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• ...we only went away twice-
    the first time my daughter was about 6 weeks old- we went to Vegas for 2 nights for Christmas (that was our gift from hubby's parents) my mom kept her for us * we were living with her then

2nd time was for a wedding- my sister in law got married in California and we flew out for it- 2 nights I think it was...my mom kept both kids and they were like 6 and 8? 7 and 9? something like that I think it was.

the only other time was when I had my son- my mom took my daughter overnight -she was 2 1/2

*we normally took the kids everywhere with us -or one of us stayed home with them. The only time it was hard for me was the first time- but it was turned out fine
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• When my oldest was 8 months my mom kept him for a night so I could sleep in! She only lived a couple miles away and I knew he was in good hands. When my 3rd was 11 months old my ex's (husband at the time) mother passed away and we had to go to NY from NC. We left the kids with my mom for 4 nights.

Answer by missanc at 5:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I have gotten away alot in the past
    6 mos i think was the youngest
    then when they were older (2 and up) we would go for weekends often

come to think of it, my ex was really good at making sure we had us time
    waxing nostalgic *sigh
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• With my first DD it was 3 weeks, I had to go to a funeral out of town and she stayed with my mom. With DD #2 it was 6 weeks, I was in the hospital getting my appendix removed
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• they were babies. i had to go out of town quite a few times when they were practically just born to handle some legal matters in another state.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Beside when my youngest was born the first time I went anywhere without my kids they were 6 and 9. BUT my kids have been spending night/weekends (and even weeks in the summer) with their grandparents since they were babies. The oldest started when he was almost a year and I think the youngest was 6 mos. when he started spending the night with them.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• My daughter has been overnight with friends a few times. She was about 5 months old the first time. DH and I were both TDY so she had to stay with friends for a week. Then for a few days at about 9 months, both TDY again, and the last time she was 14 months and she spent 1 night when I was in labor. We have not had to leave DS yet, though the chances if them needing to go to grandparents for 6 weeks in the foreseeable future is high.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2013