At what age is it appropriate to wean a child off of their comfort object?

DD is almost 3 and she has 2 blankets that she needs when she is upset or tired. She has to take them on trips, to daycare, and to bed. They are nasty and I want to throw them out but I am worried it will cause world war 3 in my house. I have tried just replacing them new ones (that are exactly the same, they are just swaddle blankets) but she has rejected every other one. They are full of holes and stains because we have had them since she was born. There is blood, food, and other stains. My husband thinks I am mean for trying to limit the amount of time she has a blanket with her (I am trying to make her not so dependent on them).

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• mine still has her blankie
    she just turned six
    at 3 ish, the blankie had to stay in the house
    i did make exceptions if we were going somewhere scary, or a long car ride, etc
    she was pretty ok with it all

"blankie stays in the house, find a good place for it, so when we come back you know it is in a special place"

daughters blankie was yellow, now a very faded almost white/yellow
    it is so thin from the washer

and when she was in daycare at 2.5- she did not bring blankie- do not remember how i got around that one, just never brought it, so the rule was in place at start
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I don't think you ever need to actually take those things away... Make a rule at her next birthday or when school starts up that that kind of thing is a bedtime or bedroom item now that she is X yrs old. Then, when needed, say that if you need it for comfort go sit on your bed with it. Or something like that. She will grow away from it as she realizes it isolates her.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I would say a good first step would be to tell her that she can have them at home, but she can't take them anywhere else.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• mine still has hers and she's 4 1/2. i have to wash it frequently. she takes it to daycare but leaves it in the cubby until naptime (which is progress, last year she wouldn't part with it at all) and she takes it in the car but not inside the store. baby steps.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• All of my boys had blankies and I let them decide when to give them up. I made it a non issue. They could have it or not. Totally up to them. They gave them up easily except kept them on their beds when being out running around became more important than the blankie. About kindergarten age...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Hey AF - how are you? We miss you.

Maybe let her pick something else out to bring to daycare, that could be a start.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I learned with my first that I needed to have duplicates for blankies. My oldest would watch it get washed and dried and then take it back to his room.

I would say that by 4 they were only taking things to daycare or had them in bed. My older 2 gave up sleeping with their blankies by 7. DS2 is 8 and still has his blankie and 2 kitties. They stay in his room unless we go on a long road trip. And he doesn't always bring them into the hotel from the car now.

Establish the only at home or daycare rule and then it will just kind of happen.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• D still has his, I just wash it pretty regularly. He sleeps with it and takes it with him when he is gone overnight (except to his dad's house for some reason, guess he has something else over there). He also has a stuffed monkey that goes everywhere with him. He is 7.

If you are worried about it, just start with keeping it at home and then progress to just at bedtime and so on. Make it a slow transition.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I won't ever take them away because of how mine were. They get washed regularly and have to stay in their beds unless they're sick.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• My daughter never clung to a blanket or stuffed animal, so the only thing that came near to this was giving up her pacifier. Her fozz, she called it. When she was about a year old, I started to make it jus a naptime or bedtime thing, which helped her sleep. Then when she turned two, she and I threw all of the fozzes in the dumpster, and she said good-bye to them. Bedtime was a struggle for a few days, and then she seemed to forget about the fozzes. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2013