Is she sick...?

My 16 month old DD used to take 1 nap a day from less than 45 mins. Lately she has been taking 1 nap a day for 2- 2 1/2 hours. What could be causing this change? She doesnt seem sick, but I dont know what else it could be??

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 4:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My children sleep longer when they are going through a growth spurt. Sometimes, they get really fussy. To help them, I gave them Tylenol to help with the pain.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Everything I've read on toddler sleep says that older toddlers are the ones who take those long, wonderful naps. And that's what I've seen with mine. As a baby, she slept 45 mintues tops. As a toddler, the naps have gotten longer. I've even had a handful of the delightful 3 hour naps!
    So, is she sick? Probably not. She's learning at a huge rate - which requires sleep - and she's still growing - which requires sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Just like the other answers I agree sounds like she is just growing. My daughter is doing the same thing right now. Her and sister who is 13 months go to nap and the same time but for the last week or so she sleeps 1 and 1 1/2 hr more than the little one. Before they slept about the same. I think at this age they are just taking in so much and learning so many new things they need the rest.
    ssdm4ever

Answer by ssdm4ever at 12:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009