How do you manage to be a single mother?

I'm just curious, just out of respect for single mothers. i just wonder how do they manage it? I know it must to be hard, but at the end of the day you are proud of what you did. Any advice for others?

proudteenmom974

Asked by proudteenmom974 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• It is harder than you can imagine. There are days that I am just glad I made it thru the day. I know there are many single moms out there that have it worse than me.

My advice to other single moms would be to accept help whenever they can and to not be afraid to ask for help.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Just got to do what you got to do. I had alot of help for about 3 and half years but when I moved I got myself organized and just stuck with it. Budgeting and just doing everyday stuff. Living out lives. It is hard because there is noone to help but I have made friends slowly and my family is not that far for just in cases. Sometimes it is overwhelming but most of the times I live all the love that is just for me from my dd.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• It was brutally hard for me. My husband left when my youngest was 5 months old. I'd just been treated for cervical cancer and my other kids were 3 and 6. He left us with nothing. I went to college when I was close to 30. We were poor pretty much always.

I don't really have any advice. Most of us were placed in the single mom role because of things beyond our control. You do what you have to do, pay your rent before anything else, love your kids, understand you won't be able to give them everything they want (nor should you) and you'll never be able to keep up with the popular crap so don't even start down that road.

Keep family and other support close, if you have it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• vodka helps.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• hardest thing for me is zero 'me time'
    but you do what you have to do
    and kids always come first whether you have a father in picture or not
    when you do not- you pick up the slack as best as possible
    and me time is moments on here with all you dorks :)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• You are the mother and father. You make all the decisions in the house.  You just learn to do everything on your own.  When it comes to money. Bills come first, then stuff the kids NEED.  

Answer by louise2 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I was widowed at 25. My kids were 3 and 10 months old. I survived because I didn't allow myself any other options, because really.. what options did I have anyway?

I'm still single, and the kids are now almost 12 and 9 years old. Allow your family to help if they're willing, and if they're not, make do with what you can do. I think the biggest detriment to any mom is to feel pity for her own situation. Don't allow yourself to feel that and you will be just fine. Wallowing in self-pity does nothing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I'm not a single mother, and I have admired all single parents many times when my boyfriend finally gets home and I feel that little rush of relief that I'm not in the trenches alone, at least for a few hours. That being said, I think most people do amazing things because their backs are against the wall. Like Ginger said, what choice is there?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• I actually found it much easier as a single mother than it was being married to my ex. I loved making all the decisions, to not have to be concerned with what someone else thought was best. It was tiring at times but I had a great support system.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Get as much support as possible : family,, friends, public assistance, whatever!!! Teach your kids early on to be self reliant, help themselves and each other as much as possible. Don't look at it as being a single parent but as a tight family unit. That's what I did and we did great
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2013