What does the term landlord mean?

Lord of the Land? Is it an outdated term or what?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 11:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• probably!
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 11:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• No it's not an outdated term. If you rent a house from someone, they are your landlord. Shoot, if you rent any kind of housing from someone, whoever owns the place is the landlord.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Unfortunately, in my experience, it means the guy who has you by the short hairs because you need a place to live and he knows it. I'm very glad to have finally managed buying my own home, even if it is a condo that's gotten way too small with Grizzly Adams as a neighbor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• A person who rents land, a building, or an apartment to a tenant.
    B.Conley75

Answer by B.Conley75 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• How about just calling them the Owner? Why be a Land Lord.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Landlord is the historic term and I don't think anyone's seen any need to change it. Goes back to the Romans.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Historic term. Dates back to medieval Europe. Roman empire had fallen and power had run amok. Small farmers were being robbed, burntoout, etc. Wealthy knights, etc bought up huge parcels of land and would protect the farmers...only some became greedy tyrants but that's another story. Any way, these protectors were esteemed and called "lords". Therefore they were lords of the land...or landlords
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Landlord means the ass who wont fix the plumbing
    even after years of promising he will
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

But then what would you say when you need to call them to fix something? "I'm going to call my owner."? That doesn't sound right at all. "I need to call the owner of my house."? That's clunky and confusing.

I don't know the exact origins of the word, but I'm suspecting it goes back to when there were kinds, knights, barons and so forth, where the people who did the really hard work of farming and such didn't own their land and instead had a lord who owned it, and they had to give him a portion of what they grew in exchange for the right/privilege of working the land. We don't necessarily farm anymore, but renting is still paying your landlord (the owner of the property you live in) for the right/privilege to live there.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2013