Folks want stricter background checks for someone who wants to buy a gun ok fine, what would you want to include? What to look for etc...

Lets pretend we all are in Congress. Everyone wants more background checks, so lets all make suggestions on what we want done. And I can almost guarantee with 95% certainty, its already being done. But for for shits and giggles, lets chime in on what you wish the govt would do.. My husband is a NRA certified instructor for both civilian and law enforcement. And he has been doing this to close to 15 yrs now. So yes he is pretty knowledgeable about what's what as am I. So lets do this.

Also on the subject of not allowing anything that hold 10 or more rounds illegal. Doing this will not deter crime, lessen the severity of school shootings, or mass shootings, or any type of shooting. I am able to, or at least once was able to change out my empty mag and have another fresh 10 round mag in my gun and shooting again in a half a second. All it takes is LOTS and lots of practice to build muscle memory. If someone wants to shoot a lot of people, all they have to do is get more mags with 10 rounds. Carry 5 mag, thats 50 rounds of ammo.

Just a little history FYI... There is a guy by the name of Jerry Miculek, and this guy a legend with revolvers. He can fire six shots, reload, fire six shots from 1 revolver 2.99 seconds, a world record and with Smith and Wesson revolver. Thats 12 rounds...I find it amazing.

Here is the video, if you want to see it...no pressure..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I don't think stricter background checks will make a whole lot of difference because many of the people who are engaging in gun violence are either criminals who don't et their guns legally or people who can't pass background checks as they are now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Ahhhh common sense....Why aren't you work at the capital? lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I agree with Ballad,I am also of the opinion someone obtains them legally and then lets a friend/family member get a hold of them. I refuse to get a gun permit,legally I can BUT I live with a multi special needs son AND a bipolar husband. Neither one of them needs a gun in their hands,DS would not understand the dangers and I would not argue with a bipolar person with a gun in their hand about how they should not have it. Best I could hope for is calling for help and praying for the best.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 3:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Stricter background checks won't really work unless you can convince the criminals to ask the people they're selling the guns to to submit to one, or build a gun safe that requires a background check before you can pry it open or something. It's not usually the people who obtain them through legal methods who commit crimes with them - and chances are, if someone IS purchasing a gun legally for illegal purposes, they haven't already done something illegal and would pass a background check anyway.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Just because someone didn't commit a gun crime in the past doesn't mean they won't do it in the future. I think background checks are good but not great. They keep the people who have committed a crime from getting a gun legally and that's something but it doesn't stop future crimes or crimes commited with guns obtained illegally.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Maybe they should make some sort of classes necessary along with the background check...
    I have no idea how to fix this whole thing-honestly

I just think they shouldn't have been invented to begin with...so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• We just need to enforce the laws we already have. ALL the laws, not just gun laws. However I don't see anyone doing so in the near future. Why make new laws if they are not going to enforce them anyway?

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 11:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I don't think we need stricter gun control but I would like to see anyone who owns a gun have to take an hour "safety" course and I don't mean on shooting the gun. Instead it would be more on how to keep the gun out of someone else's hands. This would basically cover common sense things that some people tend to lack. How to keep it out of your child's hands. How can you minimize the risk of criminals getting hold of your gun? What are your rights if someone breaks in your house, etc.

Personally I think people who say they have a gun for safety aren't so safe with storing their guns. Have you ever tried to unlock a safe to get the gun, unlock the second safe to get the ammo, load gun, & most likely it's night out? How long does it take?

We have several guns in our house but they're all under lock so the kids can't get hold of them. They're also being taught gun safety even with their toy guns.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• "BUT I live with a multi special needs son AND a bipolar husband. "
    I understand the special needs child, but that also means you just need to be a responsible gun owner and keep the gun away from him. As for your husband, does he have a violent history with BP? Been mentally incompetent in a court of law? There is no reason for a person who has BP, the are on meds and have been stable with those meds and their doctor sees no reason why they shouldn't have a gun. Would it surprise you I am a retired police officer with BP disorder?

Anyone who has kids in the house or a mental disorder with violent or unstable history, that person needs to be a responsible gun owner, has the gun put up in a safe, and only they have access to it. There is no such thing as a accidental discharge of a firearm either.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• "Personally I think people who say they have a gun for safety aren't so safe with storing their guns. Have you ever tried to unlock a safe to get the gun, unlock the second safe to get the ammo, load gun, & most likely it's night out? How long does it take.."baconbits
    With me, and with lots of practice and committing it to muscle memory, it takes me approx 9 seconds to get my gun out and ready to fire. But I have a safe right next to where sleep, and the gun is already loaded. My safe has a number pad and I push 4 buttons, and me and my dh are the ones with the code. So why on earth would someone go through all that trouble? Have the gun in one safe the ammo in another safe? I have a small safe, its attached to a wall and it holds my .40 glock.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2013