Sometimes I make a vocal sound to clear stressful thoughts from my mind. what is wrong with me?

sometimes when I get a stressful or overwhelming thought in my head I let out a small yell or a loud hum as to clear the thought or distract my mind from it. I try not to do it in public but it gets hard and my family has heard me do it and asks me what i'm doing but i can never explain. is this common?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Health

• Try a different coping mechanism. Like pinching your earlobe, or the skin between your thumb and forefinger.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• People cope in different ways. Unless you're doing it in the middle of a business meeting or a church service, you're probably fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• A midwife taught me to hum during birth. The vibrations have a calming effect. You are normal!
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 2:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I agree it's just a coping mechanism just see if you can find one that is better tolerated in public.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2013