Is it okay to invite my son's teacher to his birthday?

I am going to have my son's birthday party next week. he started going to daycare about a year ago. i am planning to invite his class mates, they are about 7-8 kids. i am okay giving inviting his teacher, but i don't know if that will be appropriate. is it okay to do so?

Sun.shine

Asked by Sun.shine at 8:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Entertainment

• I'd say no, unless you have a personal relationship with her.

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I don't think there is anything wrong with that. She may not come but it's a nice gesture. I'm FB friends with my sons preschool teacher and have been a reference for her when she changed jobs. Some times you just click with people. I'd say it's ok.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• My son wanted to give his kindergarten teacher an invite, I told him that she might not come because she still has to do work on Saturdays so don't have your feelings hurt if she doesn't make it. He gave her an invite, she gave him a sucker and a pencil and didn't show haha.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Unless you have a personal relationship I'd say no. She may feel obligated to buy a gift, or feel awkward for not going. I'd leave it to the kids in the class.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• No, there is no reason to invite the teacher unless you are friends with her.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Give her an invitation if you like, but don't let it bother you if she's busy and doesn't come.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• i don't. we say hi's and hello's whenever i go to school to drop him off. but that's about it. but like crafty says, i don't think she'll come, it'll be a nice gesture. i do feel kind of awkward handing out invitations to all the kids and not give her one. thanks for your advices ladies. it helps in making a simple decision! :) cheers!
    Sun.shine

Comment by Sun.shine (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• it would probably wouldn't matter to my son if she doesn't show up. he can handle disappointments. besides, he's more excited about the clown, his 2 best friends coming and cake & ice cream ofcourse. i just want to invite her because i do feel bad handing one out to everyone else in the class but her.
    Sun.shine

Comment by Sun.shine (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I wouldn't. The Teachers don't expect to be invited nor would they really want to go either.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I don't think I'd give her an invitation. At most, I'd just maybe say, "Hey, we're having a party for Johnny on Saturday. If you'd like to come, feel free. I can give you our address if you decide you want to come." And then I'd leave it alone.

But honestly, I wouldn't. You have no personal relationship with her, and I don't think any teacher really expects to be invited, plus even if they did get invited, I imagine most of them would feel a bit uncomfortable going. It would have to be awkward, trying to be sociable with a child that on Monday, you might have to send to the office for refusing to do his work or something - or worse, that you sent to the office on Friday. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2013