Divorce question

How long does it normally take from start to finish to get a divorce finalized? I realize that none are the same and will take more or less. Custody of kids will also tend to have an impact. Just trying to get an idea of how long it takes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• I have had proceedings last anywhere from apr 45 days to 3 years
    Kids involved each time
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I'm 2.5 years into my divorce, but that's because we chose to do nothing for a 1.5 yrs and then took our time with the rest. Each state is different in their requirements - some even require that the couple stay in the home together for a period of time.

Best suggestion is to consult with an attorney.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 9:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Yes, you're right it depends but I have one child and my ex husband is a nacrassist. It took almost a year from start to finish- but my first lawyer was part of the problem. Make sure you have yourself a good lawyer and your clear on what you want and don't want, and if you want it to end earlier be flexible to a point. Good luck! I just ended mine this past February and it was so good to finally be done with that chapter of my life.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Mine took 9 months and a lot of $. My ex was trying to delay the proceedings by being stubborn, thus forcing my attorney to charge me more hours.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Depends on what state you live in. It takes 3 months here, when you finally fill. But if you have problems separating your assets.  It could take years.

Answer by louise2 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Mine took 9 months, from legal separation, to the finalized divorce. There was custody involved, and a restraining order. In the end it cost me about $3000.00, but I'd do it again, and pay double to get that a$$hole out of my life.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• i filed in april of 2012, divorce will be final this week.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Congrats tnm786!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• thank you :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Some states have a required separation time like South Carolina requires you live separately for one year before you can file divorce, or at least that's how I think it goes. I'm in Tenn. and I filed in Aug. 08 and it was final in Jan. 09. But, we agreed on a Marital Dissolution Agreement to split up the marital assets/debts and that included a custody order. So, when we had our court date all we had to do was show up and the judge finalized it. I think that if you agree it will take less time but then again if you rush things you may end up compromising on things that you should've fought for.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2013