How do I figure out what I want to do with my life?

I have a job I like but I've been doing it so long it's time for me to move up or move on. I just don't know if I actually want to stay in the field but I have no idea what else I want to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• well, if YOU don't know- WE certainly don't know!
    I have no idea whaty you like, what you do now, what you wanted to be growing up, how much education you have or anything...
    we definitely need more info!

I guess you need to ask yourself some serious questions and go from there...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• What do you like to do?

Answer by louise2 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• * sorry if that came off as bitchy sounding- It honestly wasn't meant to be

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• What are you passionate about? What makes you happy? What are your hobbies. I'm a writer, and I've always written still writing, but recently a job kind of fell in my lap, and I'm managing a little sewing machine store. Which is really fun for me. I love sewing, and teaching and this job combines both, plus it's been great for my confidence. Who knew I could have employees.

Think about things you would do whether they paid you or not that's what you should look into. Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Do you have any skills outside of the field you are in?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• You need to take a look at your life and ask some questions. What do you see yourself doing in 5 years, 10 years? How do you get there? If it will take training can you stay at your current job while you go to college or take a few local classes? Is there a position you would like in the company you are currently with? Talk with your boss and see what you can do to get there.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2013

• There are a lot of things to figure out. What interests you, what you like, what you hate, your education level, your willingness to continue that education if need be for a job/career, etc.

Personally, I'm a romantic suspense author. I always wanted to do this, and finally got serious about it after I got laid off a few years back and had a really hard time finding another job because there was just nothing around here. I love what I do, I wouldn't trade it for anything. But, I also love photography, and if I DID have to give up writing, I'd probably try to turn photography into a career.

Look at your hobbies and see if any of them can be turned into careers. That might even allow you to get started on it while still working at your current job, so you have that safety net to pay your bills until things take off for you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• You've gotten some great advice. I guess I would just add that if you're happy where you are, who's to say you necessarily always have to be "doing something" with your life? I have a job that's okay, I'm not wildly excited about it but it pays the bills and allows me to do what I really am passionate about, which is raising my daughter and making memories with my family. Now when my daughter goes to all-day kindergarten, I want to get my novel published and see what else I can write. But part of living life is to be contended doing what you're doing, or to get to a place where you can be happy and then enjoy it. I see people who are always striving, and I suppose if that's what makes them feel alive it's fine, but I wonder if they ever enjoy what they've achieved.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Try doing something totally different from what you are doing now it helps break up the same old thing. Helps avoid job burn out and maybe a way to start a new career.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Wanna sell dildos?
    Other than that I can't help you!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2013