sleep problems

my 4 year old does the get me this and thats befor bed and gets out like 5 times to ask me stupaid questions like what clothes did u pick out and tells me stories how his blanket flew off the bed blah blah just does any thing in his power to stay out of bed for a few more min what should i do about this its drivin me nuts we get up very early and my bed time is the same as his soo were getting very little sleep

kris10npj

Asked by kris10npj at 4:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd does the same as shes 4. She has to pee. Her foot itches. The dogs bugging her because its looking at her. She cant sleep. Shes thirsty. She has to pee BAD again. It goes on and on. Last night she woke me up at 3:42 am and said Is it time to get up now? Argh.
    Anonymous

• I read a great idea once ...

I don't know what an appropriate amount at that age is to get out of bed, maybe START with 2 or 3, and work your way down from there.

Let me explain, you can use playing cards, have your kid make their own passes out of construction paper, or use poker chips, whatever.

When they go to bed, they take however many passes they have to bed with them, and each time they get out of bed for any reason they have to surrender a pass. When passes are gone, no more getting out of bed, BUT for each one they DON'T use, they can turn in in the morning and you can make like a sticker reward chart, and when they get ___ many stickers, they get a reward (as small as $5 to spend at the dollar store, or to pick out a movie to watch, etc.)

I think the reward part is more enticing to them, so they'll want to hold on to the passes. I heard this works great.

cont ...
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• ...cont

Make sure you sit down and explain the rules of it clearly and make it fun like a game not a rule, ya know?

Let me know if it works!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was going to suggest the bedtime pass too! I haven't had to try it yet (mine is only 2) but I'm keeping it in mind for the coming years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yeah, a 2 yo prolly won't get it, lol, but a 3 yo probably, 4 yo, definitely. Or so we hope, haha.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Set some limits. My daughter tried that. Lasted about a week. She got something taken away each time she got out of bed. Before we knew it she realized we weren't playing games with her and after that she stopped.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Mom - make the child's bedtime 30 minutes before yours. Start a routine like, put your jammies on. Go to the bathroom. Wash your hands. Brush your teeth. Give parent(s) a hug, and smooch then off to bed. Be absolutely consistent. No deviating from the routine except on bath night. If the child gets up, put them right back in bed. Say goodnight, and leave the room. Do not give in to what they want. It's the same thing as breaking the 18 month old of the middle of the night bottle. They may cry, but ok. They can cry themselves to sleep without harm as long as they have their favorite stuffed animal in bed with them. It can take up to a week for them to get with the swing of things.
    BetsyAD

Answer by BetsyAD at 5:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• To the last 2 people that posted before me ...

Why jump to something negative like that, when a fun, positive spin may very well work? Isn't it at least worth a try?

I am a firm believer in never letting your children cry themselves to sleep, breaks my soul into a million pieces just to think about it.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• yeah i could not do the whole cry it out thing made me just as up sat as him i love the reward programs we do whats one more lol ill have him help me make tickets tonight

but his bed time 30 min b4 me would def not work lol i get home from work at 615 dinner bath and befor you know it its 8 time for jammies and bed were up at 530 so its needed we have very long days :(
    kris10npj

Answer by kris10npj at 9:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Kris - hey let us know how it works, k? I'll check back to see how it went :)

Oh, and lol about "what's one more". so funny how that works. Honestly, I think a kid could do just about anything right with a rewards program! Even a tantrum reward program or something, haha.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009