Do you give your child antibiotics everytime prescribed?

I took my son to the Dr about a bump on his private, which is about gone without any medicines. He said he didn't think it was infected but give him antibiotics any way just incase. And its for 10 days!! I hate giving my son unnecessary medicines. He does have a lot of bug bites, which I think that's what is on his private as well. And he give him cream as well.

So I'm debating on gibing him the antibiotics or not? Its about gone so it seems kinda pointless...but then again I'm scared I will regret it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• i have given her the meds each time they were prescribed by doctor
    twice in her six years
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I give my kids their antibiotics most of the time when they're prescribed. In your case if the bump is going away I would just use the cream and not the oral medication. Sometimes the antibiotics they give them are unnecessary, just a precaution. Hope he gets to feeling better :)
    dmartinez0205

Answer by dmartinez0205 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Yes. Always, however my child's Pedi rarely prescribes them.

I'd give him the antibiotics. Bumps and bites on th private area has to be miserable. Poor boy.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 1:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Yes I give them when prescribed. Our pediatrician doesn't give antibiotics "just in case" the kid needs them or doesn't. They don't want people over using them and I agree. So each of my kids have had antibiotics less than 25 times combined in their lives, and they are 15, 13, and 8.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I've given my daughter the antibiotics prescribed for her ear infections, but it's only been two or three times in five years. If it were me, I'd probably give the kid the medicine--that's why I take my child to the doctor, because he or she has knowledge and experience and I do not--but you could always wait a few days and see if the bump goes away. My fear would be that if it's an infection and you don't start treating it, maybe it could get worse and be harder to wipe out later on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• My ped doesn't give antibiotics unless she thinks they are absolutely necessary so, yes, I do. However, my DS has not had any meds of that nature in about 4-5 years and DD in about 3 years. She did need steroids not too long ago for a SERIOUS poison ivy outbreak though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Yes. Anytime something is prescribed I fill it and give it. Our pediatrician doesn't do just in case.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Yes, because Idont even take them in unless I know they're needed.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2013