Is this something normal?!

I'm almost 31 weeks pregnant & when I self check my cervix, I can feel I'm almost 2cm dilated, my cervix is less then half my finger long & I can feel my baby's head with the tip of my fingers. How can I tell if I'm effacing or not?! & where does this mean my baby is stationed?!

clmorales91

Asked by clmorales91 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Stop doing that!! Who on earth told you that was a good idea?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• HOW are you able to do that??
    And yeah,stop doing that.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• My doctor gave me the okay to self check my cervix. It's safer to check your own cervix then have someone else do it because the germs on your hands are the germs already in your body. But I've only done it twice because I had went to the hospital at 28 weeks & was told I was 3cm dilated. But that isn't the case now. My doctor said as long as you clean your hands & use gloves, it's pretty safe to self check. I have no preterm labor signs so my doctor said it was okay to check monthly. Obviously I don't check it everyday, but since I'm near the end of my pregnancy, I'd like to know if I'm progressing any. I'm just trying to figure out how effaced I am.
    clmorales91

Comment by clmorales91 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• You could introduce infection up there.... STOP IT. QUIT TOUCHING YOURSELF. Didn't your mother teach you that??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Oh geez...

Does anyone have a Meme for this? I remember this came up last year too....

PLEASE someone make a MEME QUICK!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I'm sorry. I find that advice abhorrent. Additionally, " It's safer to check your own cervix then have someone else do it because the germs on your hands are the germs already in your body" is just silly. Do you think those are the ONLY germs you have? Were that the case, no one would EVER become ill.

I think you read somewhere that this was okay to do, bought yourself some surgical gloves and went to town. The problem is, you've got a history of significant preterm dilation which could very well link to preterm labor and there you are, stimulating your cervix.

Brilliant.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Okay, I got it....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I remember this came up last year too....

Yeah it did wasnt that poster confused as to why she kept bleeding after she crammed her hands up there?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• If I had more time, I'd find it....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2013