I am 31 weeks pregnant, is it ok for my pubic bone to start to separate this early?

I had really pad pain when I went pee and when I walk around. The Dr said I had a UTI & gave me meds. Now I still have horrible pain right behind where I pee and he said that my pubic bone is starting to separate. Is that ok at 31 weeks? Or is that a sign that I may go into preterm labor?

swalk

Asked by swalk at 1:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Why didn't you ask the doctor?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I figured it would be ok since he did not mention any more about it. But Id like some feedback from other moms... if anyone else had this at 31 weeks
    swalk

Comment by swalk (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I've heard of women who walked around with their pubic bone separated for weeks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• "I've heard of women who walked around with their pubic bone separated for weeks."

Well, yes, because this is what happens during the last trimester. Pubic bone is loosening in order to facilitate birth. Diastasis can be uncomfortable and painful but it there are ways to manage the discomfort. As your doctor, OP.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Your pubic bone isn't separating... you have two of them and they are already separated by the symphysis pubisis. The symphysis pubisisis a cartilaginous joint that connects your left and right pubic bones - it starts to soften as an result of the hormone relaxin that is being released in your system that helps tissues expand. It happens slowly to this cartilage and your ligaments as you progress thru your pregnancy. It's why your feet get bigger as well. I had a tear in mine for the last two month of my second pregnancy... i couldn't do anything that required me to shift weight from one leg to the other with out being in tears. Talk to your doc about this one!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• " i couldn't do anything that required me to shift weight from one leg to the other with out being in tears. "

I had that, as well. All these years later I still remember it
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I had that, as well. All these years later I still remember it

I hear ya!! My poor 2 year old... that was a long summer for her... I couldn't even got down to play with her, she had to come to me ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Where is the medical disclaimer? I lost it...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I did not know bones could separate
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Thanks Crafty26 ! Mine is getting to where when I stand up, after sitting for more than 5 minutes, it is excruciating to walk and then shifting from left leg to right leg, or vise versa, is really painful. Getting up off the toilet is painful and getting in and out of bed. Now when I walk, I look like Im walking with something shoved up my butt cuz Im trying to avoid the pain LOL. I am going to ask the dr about a possible tear..? I don't want to mess anything up if there really is an issue there.

Does a tear like that heal on its own?

--swalk
    swalk

Comment by swalk (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2013