Another potty traning question.

Daycare wants DS to be potty trained soon. The next teacher up "prefers" them to be potty trained. He turns 3 in September. My older boy was easy to potty train, but this little guy doesn't want to do it at all. Not for candy, movies, toys, anything that I can tell. When I do get him to sit on it, he tells me, "I will try later"

Any suggestions?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 2:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Persistence... don't let him get off the pot when he says he will try later. I would give my daughter a giant glass of water and sit her on the toilet about 15-20 mins. later and would tell her to sit there until she pees.. Don't let the kid call the shots. He'll catch on.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• The opposite view is that you'll create a power struggle by pushing the issue, and make it take even longer to train your son. Some boys just don't learn by the time they turn three, in spite of what anyone prefers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• You can't do it before he's ready. That's too bad for the teacher.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• His teacher says she is not giving up. The problem is now that he is holding it until you put the pullup on. In my opinion pullups are not helpful either. Still feels like a diaper. Plus, they are costing me more. I will give it a week and see if there is a change.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Maybe try talking to him in an older fasion and say ok since your getting big now Im going to have to buy you big bog diapers if you don't want to use the potty and go and buy him depends and tell him he has to wear those it worked for two of my little cousins they were terrified of those big things haha. But maybe also explain your big your teacher doesn't want to have to change a big boys diaper that's icky would you like changing her diaper I would always reverse stuff around on my son that worked too.
    octopuss98

Answer by octopuss98 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2013

• I tried again this weekend with no success. He sat on the potty for at least 20 minutes and then when I would let him up, he would pee within 5 minutes. But he looked so surprised that he was peeing.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2013