Working when kids are at achool

Husband wants me to get a part time job after school starts, only working during the hours that the kids are in school. I keep telling him that not only would it be difficult to find a job where I only work between Monday and Friday between 8:30 and 4:00, but they are not going to like when I have to have this day off because kid is sick or leave immediately 2 minutes after I get there because kid threw up on bus or have this day off because school was cancelled or have these weeks off because of Christmas or Spring break. He says employers are very understanding and I think that is very unrealistic. He says other parents do it, but other parents have a back-up system like relatives or baby sitters or day care, which we do not.

He believes that I just don't want to work, but I can't see how I can qithout being fired aftee the first few weeks because I have to be at home for kids.

Is he being unrealistic or am I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• It works well if you work in a school system. Employers aren't as flexible because there are plenty of people that will find sitters for the kids vacations - especially if it's an unskilled position. You can try... the worst that can happen is you don't get hired or you get let go for asking too much.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• A lot of fast foods will cater to mothers of children in school.
    Depending on what sort of training you have there are other choices as well.
    Yup you can get a job, with those parameters
    There is also holiday day/school care..
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• if you wrok FOR the school- or cleaning houses or *maybe at a fast food place you could get those hours...but it is generally pretty hard to find a job right off- that will give those hours...even Walmart and such is HARD to get hours like that- they usually want at least one wekend day
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Substitute teacher - I love it!

Answer by missanc at 3:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• In most places you need a teaching degree to be a sub.
    In NC I did not, I only needed a degree
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• He says employers are very understanding .... HaHa= that is a good one
    spoken by a non working mom

easy for him to say
    it will not be easy
    but not impossible

and when you have to take out because kid sick or a school late start, early release, odd day off etc
    very good chance you will be let go and they can find someone else to fill the job
    then you have to find another one until same thing happens

FEW jobs will cater to moms with young kids
    privately cleaning homes is great idea- your schedule for the most part

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• What are your skills? It won't be easy to find a job with those requirements, especially in this economy, but you might be able to work in a school cafeteria or a library, or something like that. Could you do direct sales? Those hours can be more flexible, although I kno a lot of women who end up busting their butts on evenings and weekend wit that. If your husband wants you to get a job, he may have to be flexible himself and pitch in with the house and kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• In general, employers are NOT understanding, very few are. The bottom line is that they need someone there when they need them there, not when the employee decides that all of the stars are lined up correctly to show up that day.

I personally have lucked out and I work for a man that actually is understanding and accommodating. I work from 10-2 a few days a week. If I need time off for kid things and appts, he's cool with it. But I'm there to help him, his business doesn't rely on me showing up for my shift. Jobs like this are few and far between and that's why I snapped it up when the opportunity presented itself to me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• You might also look at care.com for teachers looking for childcare for the upcoming school year. I have seen several ads for our area. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Ok so since the hubby wants you to work then it's simple, make him pay for after school daycare or babysitter do that you can get a job and receive your first paycheck. When the kids get sick, make him leave his job so he can go get them. See how fast that last...lol
    latricelewis33

Answer by latricelewis33 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2013