my child is 4 and still cant speak sentances but profesionals say there is nothing wrong

he has had speech therapy been seen by a paediatrician and gets pre 5 support but I feel theres something behind it, he had problems at birth and I feel that this has caused it but the profesioninals say that hes lazy. I have two older kids and im looking for any help

casper1979

Asked by casper1979 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Have you been to an ENT?
    You say he had problems at birth?
    What kind? Have you been to a pediatric specialist that deals with that type of problem?
    I just don't have enough info to really give an idea but these might set you on the right track.
    BTW just because one doctor or specialist says one thing does not mean there isn't another cause.
    You have 2 older children. Do they allow or encourage him to speak? Or do they (and possibly you) give him what he wants without the effort.? A grunt or point or milk instead of I would like a glass of milk.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• There could be many issues at work here, and I would encourage you to keep seeking professional advice. That being said, my boyfriend's brother hardly talked at all til he was four. It turned out the reason was because his older brother, my boyfriend, anticipated everything he wanted and did his speaking for him. Once the parents put a sop to that with a doctor's prompting, the little boy began speaking up for himself just fine. Give him plenty of time to make his voice heard when he wants something, but also raise your expectations of how much he speaks. If he points and says, "Milk", ask him to use his words and say, "May I have milk, please?"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• He had a low agpar score born, he's had a hearing test but all ok, he had been late st all milestones
    casper1979

Comment by casper1979 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• We don't give him anything unless hr can try to tell us but it usually ends in a temper tantrum with h throwing item's next to him
    casper1979

Comment by casper1979 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• profesioninals say that hes lazy... like his older sibs are speaking for him?
    ^ that i can see

but lazy = get different professionals
    lazy as in the dx = sounds like idiots giving dx, or at the least lazy professionals
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• i would get another dx
    lack or speech with temper tantrums- more going on than older sibs speaking for him

sounds like mine at that age
    mine is in autism spectrum

does he have any odd actions
    like spinning, looking at fans etc spinning
    odd gait (walk) or more clumsy than peers
    does he prefer to play alone than with peers, or peers near but better not touch him (especially unexpectedly)
    dies he like firm touch rather than light touch
    is he a very picky eater
    love/hate relationship with music
    extra energy and sleeps less then peers
    unable to sit and do task at hand (more than your average 4 yr old)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• The Apgar is only for diagnosing any potential issues immediatly after birth
    There is no correlation between it and later development

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I'm definitely going to seek an other opinion to his problems and get to the bottom of this do I can put my mind at rest.
    casper1979

Comment by casper1979 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2013