Would you be offended if someone bought your child used clothes for her birthday?

These are the clothes. They look very new and are Gymboree brand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't be offended.. my kid needs all the clothes she can get.

Those are cute!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I wouldn't be the least bit offended. It has happened in my house before, and I was grateful for the clothes, which were name brand and looked new.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Those are used???
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Not offended but I'm not a fan of clothes as gifts for that age. If someone gives my child something I would rather it be something they think my child would want as opposed to something they need. But nonetheless I would be thankful they gave my child a gift and make sure my child was gracious as well.

Answer by missanc at 7:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Obviously used ,yes
    those look new

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• would not give to a little classmate girl that my child was going to her birthday party
    from a family member- sure- fine

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• They are beautiful clothes. If that is all the parent could afford, then I would understand. If not, then perhaps a little. But I would let it go.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 8:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• Nope. My aunt LOVES going to yard sales, and sometimes will get the girls something. It is all cute and clean. I also had a friend mail me her dd's outgrown clothing a few years ago- the clothes were cleaned, great quality, and are on their third and fourth child (we pass on our outgrown clothes to those who need them) I used to say I never wanted my kids wearing used clothing because I did as a child, but you make compromises when stuff happens and you can't provide a 100% new wardrobe, especially when they seem bent on out growing every.single.thing they have in a matter of weeks :P
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• I wouldn't be okay with it as a birthday gift. Any other time, sure. Then again I'm not the least bit offended when someone turns up to a party empty handed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2013

• From the looks of the two outfits posted, I'd be more than happy to have received them. They look nice and I do a lot of my daughter's clothes shopping at thrift stores anyway... in this case it's truly the thought that counts. Maybe the person couldn't afford a new gift at the time of the birthday.
    latricelewis33

Answer by latricelewis33 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2013