What age does a child start school?

Are all preschools pay? Do you start at kindergarten if you cant afford preschool?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2013 in General Parenting

• Most kids around here just go to kindergarten.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Preschools here are 350 a month for 3 hours a day... That is not feasible. Plus gas.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• some preschools take the kids as soon as the pop out. Most wait until 3 year. You can wait and send your child at 5 for kindergarten, You might want to talk to a K teacher and see what sort of skills the are hoping to see in the incoming class You can always help you own child with that,,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• She is super social. Has had very little contact with other kids though :(
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Contact your school district and see if there's a Head Start program.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Preschool at 3, Kindergarten at 5... preschool is HIGHLY recommended because the current kindergarten curriculum is the old first grade curriculum that has been condensed and is now expected to be taught in half the time. At least that's how it is here in the New England states.

Most school departments have their own preschool program for little or no cost for those who are in need. Call your school department for more info.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I was surprised that my daughter qualified for the district preschool program at no cost, but she did. I had been paying for two mornings a week, and struggling to do that much, and then the director where I was sending her told me the district had an opening in the afternoon class that was renting a room in the same building. I didn't think my girl would qualify, but I filled out the paperwork anyway. She got to go four afternoons a week for the second half of the last school year, and she learned a lot more in the district class than she did in the morning sessions I paid for. It might be worth looking into for your daughter. I feel more confident about sending mine to kindergarten now, not so much because of the academic stuff, but because I know she can follow directions, stand in line, sit quietly to hear a story, take turns, respond to a behavior chart with stickers, that kind of classroom business.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Where I live there is free pre k on a first come first serve basis. The child has to turn 4 before December 1st to qualify. Kindergarten they have to be 5 before December 1st.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• neither of my kids went to preschool, my son is about to be 4 and I MIGHT start him in one a few days a week but it's b/c he's not very social. My daughter started kindergarten just fine at 5 years old.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Where I am, most kids are 5 or 6 when they start kindergarten, depending on when their birthday falls. The district policy says kids do not have to be registered and start school until they are 6.

Pre-K is offered in a few different forms around here: there's two versions offered through daycares, one run by the county/state that is free (you only pay for the actual daycare service if your kid is there beyond pre-k hours), and one that *most* of the daycares offer that they charge additionally for, but is the same as the free one - the free one is based on income, so they offer the paid one for those who wouldn't qualify for the free one.

Then the schools have two: one that is through Head Start that is like the free version at the daycare - dependent on income and I believe health/learning issues as well. Then there's another free one that you sign up and they draw names for a limited # of spots. Again, same programs.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2013