Vinegar in laundry

I know I could google this but I want real life Mom experience, not dry instructions.

So, who has added vinegar to their laundry?

What load ... towels, clothes, bedding?

How did you add it?
I have a place for detergent, fabric softner and bleach ... no agitator (love love love that). Does it matter that it is an HE washer ... Whirlpool Cabrio to be exact. 

And the final, most important question ... does it really work? 

I'm trying to find a way to keep hubby's washclothes fresher longer. He suffers from constant headaches, normally a migraine and keeps a cold (frozen) washcloth on his head. Even with bleaching them, they still get that funky smell quickly. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 9:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I've only used vinegar to set the colors in colored towels, shirts etc. Anything that might bleed.
    I put it in my rinse cycle. With a HE , I would put it in where the bleach goes.

Does it work? Absolutely!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I use it for every load
    Put it in a Downy ball
    Using borax in the wash might help with the smell as well

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I have used the vinegar to eliminate urine odors. With some success.
    But once the smell set in and sat for a couple of days I found myself using up to 1/2 a gallon.

The Borax is much better. And the clothes are brighter. I was also able to use less bleach, bonus!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Isn't Borax a powder or do they have a liquid version now?
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• It's a powder. Just put it in with the clothes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• do they have a liquid version now?
    I don't think so. Here is their site
    Their FB looks pretty active. Maybe you can get some more info there?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I use vinegar with towels & DH's stinky clothes. I need to look into this borax.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 10:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I make my own detergent,and borax is one of the ingredients. If it can get the swampy-ness out of my husband's work clothes,it can do anything

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• We don't use powder but I talked to hubby and he says Borax is awesome and we are going to give a whirl. I do love the fact that it can be used all over the house and is especially good with pet odors.

thanks ladies!!
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I've done it once on a load of my son's sheets and blankets after he wet the bed. NOTHING would get the pee smell out, but the vinegar did. Usually baking soda works well for getting my yucky laundry fresh but that was the only time it didn't, and vinegar did the trick. The sheets did come out smelling like vinegar though, but the smell faded once they came out of the dryer. But I wouldn't use it except as a last resort.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2013