If you have been with someone 10 years you are legally married?

I have been with the father of my three children for 8 years but in two years we have been together for 10 years so we would be legally married? well what if I don't want to legally married with no wedding? I want to marry him but I want a wedding, and a honeymoon, just curious who determines if you are legally married because you have been with someone for 10 years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Relationships

• No, common law marriage doesn't exist in most states anymore.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Do you reside for more than 7 years in the same location, in most states this is what is called common law. You might want to make it official, in case one of you croaks, it would make it easier for social security, life insurance and so on.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• we have lived in the same state and town but lived in different apartments in the area together, and you have a point 2dogs2kids2cats, we should get married because if one of us dies we would benefit from the life insurance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I have been married a long time, 3 libras may be right, you should goggle it and find out, but I was under the impression you had to reside in the same home for more than 7 years.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• It's a state issue, google your state's law.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Like 3libras said most states don't recognize common law marriage anymore. Also, if you haven't been living in the same house then it doesn't count. Google your state laws and see what your state says about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Google common law marriage and read about your state.

I believe that common law allows for living together in different apartments, houses, etc… My state does have common law and it can be as easy as representing yourselves as husband and wife or buying a house together. We can also get legally married just by signing our own marriage license when we get it. We went the traditional wedding route, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• SOME states recognize commonlaw marriage. Check with your state
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Common law marriage is different by state and most don't recognize it Those that do most require that you "represent" yourselves as married but I have no idea what that means.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2013

• No. Common law marriage doesn't exist in my state, not sure about the others.
    Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2013