What do you personally need to talk to a therapist about?

I feel like I need to talk to someone about my bi-polar (not medicated) mother. She always puts others down and growing up I believed her. Now that I'm older I see that she is horribly insecure and jealous of every female she knows. My dad always had this need for everyone else to be perfect to make him look good. They both place blame for the bad that happens but take all the credit for everything good that happens to anyone else even if they were not involved at all. Even though I acknowledge this I still can't get past all the bull**** they put in my head over the years. I'm 29 and trying to prevent them from doing it to my 2 kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Health

• I've been in therapy and it helps more than you can imagine! It's the best gift you can give yourself and your family!

My mother is an untreated Borderline Personality Disorder/BiPolar Disorder and my passive dad is probably clinically depressed-according to my therapist.(Based on my descriptions of their behavior) I tried to forgive my mother for her tyrannical, cruel treatment of me growing up, but she just continued to try to hurt me! Therapist said she's jealous of me.

It got so TOXIC, I had to cut off contact 10 years ago.- for my mental and physical health. She's poison and I don't want that around my children! Finally, I feel PEACE!

Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I lost both my sister and mother to cancer within a year of each other. I went from taking care of my mother after she died to taking care of my dying sister. With no time to grieve after my mom. I am going to counseling, sometimes it seems to help more than others.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Anxiety and my level of confidence.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• It probably wouldn't hurt for me to talk to a grief counselor. My sister, 2 nephews and cousin died in a house fire in 2011 and it's still something I have to deal with, July 25th would have been her 30th birthday and I spent the whole week before that crying.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I have been going to a therapist for awhile now for anxiety, and dealing with the deaths of my parents,MIL and my DH diagnosis of MS it's helped a lot.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I was seeing a therapist for a long time about the abuse I went through as a child and how to put it behind me, and it was helping some. But then the therapist died of stomach cancer and I had a baby, and after that, I just didn't have the emotional energy and stamina to start all over again with another counselor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I have an on going guilt trip about sometimes loosing it with my 94 year old mom, after 27 years of taking care of her, it gets to me sometimes, and I loose it , I scream at her and then feel sorry for doing that, but I keep telling myself I am also human!

Answer by older at 9:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Never followed thru w/ PTSD therapy because frankly I didn't have enough hours in the week to devote to it
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I would talk to one to see whay people have a problem with me. Because nothing is wrong with me. At least I don't think so.

Answer by louise2 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• i'm seen a therapist to deal with issues!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2013