Link between molestation and PMS behavior in 6 yr old?

My 6 1/2 yr old dd was molested at 3 yrs old. She is a very happy, cheerful little girl, however she occasionally gets in a mood where she is crabby and whiny. I've often said it reminds me of PMS, but today I was thinking about it some more, and wondered of it could be related. Any ideas, opinions, thoughts?

WrapWithCarol

Asked by WrapWithCarol at 12:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Kids' Health

• well that's a hormonal thing.... which she doesn't have yet.... so I wouldn't think so

is it a need a snack crabby? need a nap? see if she'll journal the moods for you so you can pin point it
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• no idea. PMS would be a little earlier for her at age 6 1/2 she could be crabby for so many reasons. I would ask her and try to help with her feelings. Does she remember the molestation? I would say that a counselor should be involved. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• People have all kinds of feelings. It is normal to be crabby or whiny when you feel disconnected. People tend to be more resilient, flexible & resourceful when they feel connected & close emotionally, and they are correspondingly less resilient (so, more upset about things, less able to cope or "let things go" or "bounce back") when their emotional cup is drained & they feel disconnected, poorly understood, etc. That tends to happen when they feel alienated. Lots of dynamics contribute to feeling alienated!

It's also completely normal for feelings around a traumatic experience (whether "remembered" or not) to interfere with behavior. The feelings from the experience exist, and unless they were handled optimally, they will continue to come up & come out. That is what "acting out" is all about....acting out an internal state of distress or lack of resolution.

Children with unresolved trauma inevitably will signal it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• In either case, responding optimally to the feelings is what helps in the moment, with moving through the normal ups & downs of life AND with resolving serious trauma. It's all about feelings; the difference only is one of degree.

How do you relate to her when she's crabby & whiny?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2013