How can I limit my infant's spitting up?

He is 6 weeks old and is not running a fever. He spits up about 15min after eating and it seems like a lot. I tried to cut his intake back and even switched to preemie nipples. What else can I do?

silvermeadows

Asked by silvermeadows at 4:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try burping him often and keep him up right for awhile after he has a bottle. You could also try a diffrent formula.
    danielle8717

Answer by danielle8717 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• yeah my daughter did that it might even be the bottle that ur using to but depending on how old she or he is u burp by ounces i burp her every two to three ounces and she is good
    AariyanaElene

Answer by AariyanaElene at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with PP
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You might try sitting baby up a little higher so they aren't reclined when drinking from the bottle. Then tipping the bottle so it's parrallel to the floor, so baby has to work a little harder to get it (but make sure the milk covers the whole nipple so no air gets in. This way baby has to work a little harder and won't be as likely to swallow air bc the milk is coming too quickly. Also - try feeding more often, but smaller amounts, and gently burping. When I burped my son I would sit him up on my lap and sort of bend him back and forth at the waist (like a little sit-up) to help jiggle the gas up. Spitting up is totally normal, as baby's tummy is still rather immature and the sphincters that keep food down aren't totally developed. But, taking a few measures to make sure there isn't extra air getting swallowed will help a little bit. :) As long as it isn't obviously causing pain or projecting significantly, no worries!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son (now 11 months old) spit up from the time he came home until around nine months. He still throws up every once in awhile. We tried EVERYTHING!!! Different formula, a little rice in his bottle, different size bottle nipples, burping more often....you name it - we did it. Nothing worked. We even went so far as to talk to the doctor about it because he wasn't gaining a whole lot of weight, but she said everything was fine. He eventually just grew out of it and it's wonderful. Sometimes babies just spit up.
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 5:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• How much is he spiiting up. There is a BIG difference between spit up and throw up. Yes all babies spit up thats just something that happens. But if he's not gaining weight or is loosing weight you should really talk to your doctor. It may just be gas bubbles pushing it up,but after what I went through I would always check.. My son would what I thought was spit up but it seemed like a lot but I didnt think anything of it. He suffered through a month of it and finally gave up eating all together. I then found out he had Pyloric Stenosis. Its very common in first born boys. I had never heard of it and his doctor never said anything about it. He had to have surgery to get it fixed. It was a small thing but I didnt know about it no one I knew had ever heard of it so when I read about a baby spitting up a lot or more then normal. I like to share this information with other moms so maybe someone else LO wont have to deal with it too
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Try a formula from Enfamil called Nutramigen. It helped for us ;)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My niece did that and the dr todl her to put sereal in her formula, that help SOOOO much. But check w/ her dr first.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 9:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009