I love this saying

Everything happens for a reason! I just keep saying that to myself over and over so I believe it. I know i do but it's hard sometimes.

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 1:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Every moment in your life was leading up to this moment now
    It makes the hard stuff easier to deal with because there has to be a good moment as a result of the bad
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I don't believe in that saying, honestly. I believe that everything happens as a result of the choices we make and good ol' indifferent nature, not because of some predetermined destiny. Probably a bit hypocritical of me because I do think that I believe in a higher power, I just don't think whatever it is is playing us like a game of chess. I don't think it will make an ounce of difference to any God if I sit on my ass for the rest of my life and die alone in poverty, or if I bust my ass and become a successful noble peace prize winner.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• And to that, I have a hard time understanding why feeling like things happen for a reason is supposed to make me feel any better. In contrast it makes me feel like I have no choice over my life and that nothing I do will matter because "everything happens for a reason". I just can't accept that.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• There were a few years where I hung on to that saying and had to believe in it. As time has goen on, I've let it go. I rarely ever say it now.

Things happen, good and bad. We just have to make the best of our situations and what we hae when times are not so great, and be thankful when they are better
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• It's too vague. My car accident happened because the woman wasn't paying attention. There's a reason. I believe in cause and effect. Things just don't happen because mysteriously it's good for me in some way.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 1:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• This quote from Satchel Page, made famous by Richard Nixon who borrowed it, suits me better.

"Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:05 PM on Jul. 31, 2013