How do i handle my 4 year old who won't stop cursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What have you tried?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• need a bit mroe info- do the people around her swear?
    when does she do this?
    what have you done so far to fix it?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Put the little crotchgoblin in a cage and poke it with a stick.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 2:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Is there other issues? Do you curse and expect your kid not to copy it? Take away something when they do it, take away more when they do it again.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Swear jar. Tabasco sauce on the tongue. Taking away a toy or privilege. 

Most importantly, lead by example.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• take the kid to the ice cream shop and point out that all the kids here don't swear so they get ice cream but you swear so no ice cream for you. then leave. Have a long conversation about the way you expect him to behave and then say if you can not swear for 1 day we will go back to the ice cream shop and get ice cream. Never underestimate the value of a good bribe or you could just smack the shit out of him...................

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• where did your 4 year old learn it?
    keep those people away and put something gross tasting in childs mouth every time
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 4:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• My daughter came home from preschool with a couple of swearwords when she was four years old, and she kept saying them because she liked my surprised reaction the first time. What I did, most importantly, was not get upset. I took her to her bedroom and said she could say those words as much as she wanted, but they weren't polite, so she could only say them in her room by herself. Never around other people. Giving her permission to use the words took the power of taboo out of them, but there were boundaries. For the next few days, I heard her on the monitor in her room, saying the words. Then the novelty wore off, and she pretty much quit on her own. No fights, no fuss. Now this will only work if swearing isn't commonplace in the home.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Lead by example
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Lead by example and maybe substitute words. Mine picked up the F word. So when he says it we just say something like "Yes you are Lucky. " Another example " Apples are good for you." Don't laugh as he will only find it encouraging. Don't overreact either. I haven't heard the f-bomb in a few weeks since I subbed words.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2013