Could this start a fire in there?

My husband did the laundry and never checked the lint trap. So when I did a few loads and thought to check it, it was very full. When I pulled the lint trap out all the lint fell down in the bottom. It pulls out on the top of the dryer and is bowed so I can't see it down there. I'm afraid to put a hanger down there to try and pull it out but it makes me nervous knowing it's in there. I don't know how to get it out.

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 2:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Check the website for your type of machine for the best way to get it cleaned out. The shop vac idea could work too. Then remember to clean the lint trap after EVERY load.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Unplug the machine and get a shop vac, most likely the hose that is connected to the vent is full as well. Remove the hose that sucks the lint outdoors and clean it out, and yes it can cause a fire.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Like the above poster said, I just use the long attachment on my vacuum & vacuum it out. Check the outside vent to make sure that's clear too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Yup, Unplug it, pull it away from the wall unscrew the back and vacuum back behind there. It Can and will cause a fire, happens all the time. Good Luck and be safe!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Suck it out with the vacuum.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• How about a vacuum?
    The make kits for cleaning drier traps and they should always be cleaned at least once a year.
    Yes it can definitely cause a fire.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2013