How much gas money would be fair?

A very close friend of mine has an annual membership to the zoo that will allow the two of us, plus my daughter and stepson, to get in tomorrow at a highly discounted rate. We've gone for the last two years and are looking forward to this trip as well. The arrangement has always been that she pays the entrance price and I spring for a picnic lunch at Subway. Then the kids can have fun and we can catch up.

There's a lot of driving involved, because my friend will come and get us at my house, which is a trip of about thirty minutes for her, then drive to the zoo and bring us back home. I don't drive, so meeting her somewhere isn't possible. I've offered to pitch in for gas before, an my friend has always said no. This time, I asked her if she could drop my stepson off at his mom's house on her way back to work after the trip. The thing is, she has to go right past the major intersecton by his mom's house, so it isn't out of the way for her at all. She agreed, but now in return, she wants me to chip in for gas.

I guess I don't have a problem paying for gas, but I'm a little hurt that she's turned down my offers before but now she's asked for it because she's dropping off my stepson, when doing so won't put her out of her way. And I haven't paid for gas in ages, so I don't know how much would be needed.

So, two questions, I guess. Am I wrong to feel a little funny about the way asking for gas came up? And how much money should I expect to put in the tank?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I say 20 bucks is fair, you will most likely find out when you have your visit what is going on with her money wise, don't sweat it, maybe she just really needs the money.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• gas is more expensive now and maybe she felt since you had offered in the past you would not care if she asked this time. i would give her atleast 10.00 , she is being generous with the discount to the zoo and driving you to and from. i would not feel funny about her asking for gas
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 4:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Maybe she had already decided she could use the gas money before you asked about your stepson, and she wasn't sure how to bring it up. I wouldn't worry about it too much. She needs it now, and that is a lot of driving.

I know with my car it takes almost $50 to fill up. I'd say offer her $15-20.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I would hand her a $20.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I'd say 15. a quick pit stop on the way wouldnt be a big deal to me and i would not ask my friend for gas money, she is so that's what I'd give her.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I would not have asked her to drop off your step son. That is just something you do not involve someone else in. JMO
    Gas has skyrocketed and I would say that it is no longer just a little extra but a lot. Personally I would say you should fill her gas tank (that is what I would do) but I bet that is not what you want to hear.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• She might be short on funds right now. I'd not think anything about it and give her 15 or 29 bucks, depending on her vehicle.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I would say about 25 would be fair!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• $10 would suffice

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• How much is the combined discount for all of you? I'd give her that, or $20, whichever is more
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2013