For parents with children with tubes in their ears...

What do you use for bathtime and swimming to keep the water out of their ears?

My son has a severe, severe ear infection, his doctor was even surprised when he saw it. He had so much puss it inflamed his ear and covered his ear hole. My poor baby he's in so much pain but thankfully now seems to be turning a corner. But the doctor said it could be from getting water in it. When he swims I put in his silicone ear plugs and this band that goes around his head, in the bathtub I just use the ear plugs.
What do you use? And has your LO's ever had a bad infection with the tubes in their ears?
Any feeback would be great.
Thanks

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Kids' Health

• My kids never had an infection once they put the tubes in. My dr said not to worry about a little water from splashing and since my kids had tubes before they were comfortable putting their head under water we never used any type of ear plugs at all. The tubes fell out within a year or so.

Answer by missanc at 4:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I had the tubes and they fell out early and left holes in my ear drums until I was a teen. I used ear plugs when swimming. The wax kind worked best, because you can mold to the shape of the ear. I also had a head thing that I wore in the bath to keep the water away from my ears. If I got even a drop of water in my ears they'd become infected. I had probably 6-7 ear infections a year and 5 surgeries to try and fix it!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Maecntpntz219- i don't use the band on him in the bath because how the heck do I wash his hair? i would put the soap underneath and have to lift it to rinse anyway, no?
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• One of my daughters had dreadful ear infections until she was 8 ... and that was WITH tubes. I thought it was never going to end. Anyway, that's how she ended off with custom made earplugs. It was worth the investment - as they're made to measure they never fell out!
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 1:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2013