Do think its discrimination? I have 6 kids. 2 of them had dr. appoint but I took with me all 6 kids because I don't have a babysitter. My oldest is only 10,8,6,5,3,1. My oldest is only a child cant

Take care of herself let alone her 5 little siblings. The point is they all came in the room to wait for the dr. He checked the kids I had appointment for and he told me that next time I come that I cannot bring all those kids with me. I told him I had noone to watch them and they needed to come with me. He again said well next time you can't. Today its ok because I have no other patients". I said, "so do I have to look for another dr?" He said,"yes". Oh wow really. Hmmm. So 30 seconds later he said, "next time the oldest can stay with no patients" I said," no, she's only 10 and what if the little ones run out to the hallways out of the waiting room. No I can't do tat" he didn't say nothing just continue with the medical subject. When the nurse came in I brought it to her attention and she was surprised he said that. I even told the front desk receptionist. They advice I talk to manager. I'm wondering is it descrimination?

Lin6

Asked by Lin6 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, it's not discrimination. He cannot provide adequate medical care with that many kids in that tiny room. You need to make arrangements for a sitter on the days you need to go to the doctor. It's his medical practice and if he makes a mistake because he can't hear lung sounds, or can't focus on the issue, patient safety becomes an issue.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Thank you. Makes perfect sense. I just wanted to make sure no one else would feel like a turn away descrimination type of a thing. But you made crystal clear sense. Thank you
    Lin6

Comment by Lin6 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Where your kids standing there nice a quiet? Not touching anything? Not jumping around playing?

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Yes they where sitting quietly. Actually one of my kids had a physical and they stayed quiet while the nurse gave my daughter the hearing test. Even the nurse acknowledge how well behave they are.
    Lin6

Comment by Lin6 (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• i think its wrong that a docs office or doc should say that to anyone.. as long as the kids were being good and quite i dont see what the issue was... i completely understand bout the babysitter issue there are just sometimes ya dont have one..
    dormaschafer

Answer by dormaschafer at 6:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Well, it was rude, but I don't think it was discrimination.. I always take both my kids when they have doctor's appointments, even if only one of them has the appointment, and I've never had a doctor say anything. Granted, there's a difference between 6 and 2, but still...like I said, rude (and in my opinion, grounds to find a different doctor), but not discrimination.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• No it's a safety issue and at 10 your eldest is perfectly capable of watching her younger siblings (except maybe the 1 year old) for an hour or two until you get home. If she is incapable of babysitting for a few hours you have to ask yourself how you have failed as a parent.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Wow! Really?? Hmmmm...a million things can go wrong having a 10 yr old watch her little siblings...wow!! I don't think I have failed. If anything it will be very irresponsible of me to have my 10 yr old home alone with her little brothers at home. I don't know where u live but in California I can get in trouble with leaving my kids home alone any age under 13. For staters what if there is a break in?? All my kids are hurt? Kidnapped? Even killed? Omg! They are little to defend themselves. The 10 yr ..really? U think capable of beating off intruders? Shoot she get picked up easily by a teenager let alone a man. Wow..some ppl are just plain idiots with their opinions. I wont even leave them alone in the car while I run in to the grocery market. Why would I put. Them in harms way. You never know what can happen. Then what? Police questions me where I was ect? I get charged with neglecting my children. Lady think about it...
    Lin6

Comment by Lin6 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I would not leave a ten-year-old home with three or four younger siblings for the length of time it takes to have a doctor's appointment, which can't always be guessed at, but I would consider leaving her in the waiting room with the younger ones instead of taking her into the exam room..
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Thank you someone who agrees not leaving a 10 yr old home alone with her siblings. But your right I can leave her in the waiting room with the grade school kids.
    Lin6

Comment by Lin6 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2013