Is my pesto still safe to eat?

I made pesto about a week ago and kept meaning to use it up but now I wonder if it is still OK-looking online I see different views and cautions about botulism. It has basil, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, and miso. Any thoughts????

confused969

Asked by confused969 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Has it been in the fridge? Does it smell the same? Look the same?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Yes it has been in the fridge the whole time in a glass jar.
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Oh and yes it looks the same still very green and smells OK. I tasted a little and it does not taste as fresh but tastes OK.
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Just because of the miso added then I'd say no.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Yeah I was not sure about the miso. Miso itself keeps forever but not sure what it does to other things.
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• It's probably fine if it's been airtight in the fridge, but I'd use it up tonight at the latest.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I make fresh pesto and keep it in the frig for a week but I have never added miso.Did it improve the flavor ?What did it do to make the pesto different ?

drfink

Answer by drfink at 7:19 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• I am eating it now. I got the recipe from a vegan cookbook. Not vegan now but tried it out for a while. Anyway I guess the miso is used instead of cheese.
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2013

• Update: Well I ate the pesto last night and all was fine. It was starting to dry out a little on the edges but tasted good and no problems. I also found this recipe for a pesto later that also contains miso but it also contains lemon juice (which would help preserve) which the author says it would be good for a month in the fridge. Wow-that is a long time. Here's the recipe:

http://howtomakeamess.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/parsley-walnut-miso-vegan-pesto/
    confused969

Comment by confused969 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2013