Anyone have some advice on cold weather activities for a 3 year old?

We're from Texas, and recently relocated to Anchorage, Alaska and it's quite difficult to give my daughter an outlet for all of that energy she used to expend outdoors. She's used to swingsets and playgrounds, so I was just wondering if anyone from a cold climate area had some advice on indoor activities, or just how to cope with a preschooler who happens to be stuck indoors. Thanks!

Lauren1104

Asked by Lauren1104 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get a big box and spend the day making it into a playhouse (this lasts for months at my house). Throw down a blanket and have picnic in the floor. Any pretend thing you can think of to do that keeps her mind busy will help.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Making up carnival games is always fun too, though you will probably get bored with it before she's ready to give it up. "Dance time" is a good energy use too .
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• LOVE the idea of turning a giant box into a playhouse. Thank you much!
    Lauren1104

Answer by Lauren1104 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• A box of dress up clothes and indoor picnics (w/dolls and stuffed animals as guests, of course!) are both hits with my kids. And I agree with the big box idea!
    wevegot3

Answer by wevegot3 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• In addition to the great imaginative activities others have shared, I find that my kids need and benefit from more active play. So, I confess I let them jump on one of the beds. Another mom I know pulls out an old toddler mattress for jumping times. In our house, we also turn on music or videos and dance away! Other moms have little plastic slides, but I created a makeshift slide using a pillow with armrests pushed next to the couch cushions. I tucked a nylon sleeping bag in the bag of the couch cushion and it made a slide over the angled pillow down to the floor. I remember my dad used to make a slide using his back--we'd ride "the horse" and then be tipped forward down the slide. Fun memories!
    3are_a_blessing

Answer by 3are_a_blessing at 11:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Have an indoor scavenger hunt! Make a list of common objects found in the house. The list might have things like: a picture of (child's name), a square of toilet paper, a blue crayon, a cup, etc. Let your son find these items and put them in a large paper shopping bag. After he finds all the items listed, have him help you sort them into groups. Sort them in several different ways, by color, use, what they are made of, etc.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Another idea I got from my boss was to do an excercise video together (yoga, pilates, dance, etc); she told me this because I was complaining about not being able to find time to excercize with two toddlers around. She told me that her granddaughter thought that was a lot of fun and giggled the whole time.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009