Do you eat lunchmeat??

I hear that you should not, just wanted to see if it is ok every once in a while.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You're supposed to heat it before eating it to make it safe, but I ate it cold through 3 pregnancies with no issues.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think it's ok from time to time. I didn't eat it because it just grossed me out at the time.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 4:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I eat it once in while. Most of the time I try to heat it 1st. Like a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Just to be safe.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I didn't because of the nitrates in them. I didn't know what nitrate would do to my son, but I figured I didn't like lunch meat enough to eat it anyway.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i did unil i realized that they meant all lunch meat not just subway and quizznos :p i ate bleu cheese dressing for 11 weeks then got in a hysteria about listeria and made my doctor test me for it like 1000 times in my pregnancy lol
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I love lunch meat and i hate to admit it, but i eat it all the time and i ate it all the time with my first pregnancy as well. It's one of the craving foods that i really can't kick. and i hate the way it tastes warmed up.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I do every once in a while, it's a new thing- I ate it through my other two pregnancies with no issue so Ihave a hard time remembering that an easy bologna sandwich in my lunch is no longer safe... however we bought lots of bologna on sale and froze it so maybe that killed the ickies?

also before being told to steer clear of lunch meat I craved fresh food stuff and ate subway like every day for three weeks....

19 weeks preg- no issues yet.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• im 24 weeeks and eat subs all the time.baby and i are healthly
    Anonymous

• Only if there's absolutely nothing else to eat. You shouldn't during pregnancy and you really shouldn't even when you're not pregnant either. While many mothers eat lunch meat while pregnant and have had not problems, it still doesn't mean that lunch meat is the best thing to be eating. It also doesn't mean that lunchmeat is OK simply because you or someone you know was OK when eating it. I'd rather use scientific research when I make decisions for my body rather than Sally down the street who did it and was "ok" wouldn't you? While lunchmeat might not be the worst thing in the world to eat, it is certainly not the best. I think anything that is unhealthy you to to eat should still be unhealthy to eat during pregnancy. Many lunch meats and cheeses are nothing but processed crap. Lunch meats are packed with nitrates (known carcinogens), sodium (I roll my eyes at "lower sodium" meat), preservatives and fat (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• (cont.) They literally take all of the unused parts of the animal (snouts, blood clots, connective tissue, the anus etc., grind it and pour it into a mold before slicing it). Gross and unhealthy. There's also Listeria to consider while you can control the cleanliness of your own refrigerator, you cannot control how clean restaurants (or friends and family members) keep their fridges. The dirtier the fridge, the greater the risk that there is Listeria present. Listeria is notorious for causing stillbirth. Statistics show that for every 5 people infected with Listeriosis, one will die. 1/5 is not a good ratio. If you want to eat cold cuts and soft cheeses (better if pasteurized) in your own home (in moderation because remember, they're not very good for you) that's fine. But out at restaurants where you have no idea how old that crap is and how clean they keep their cooking/storage areas...I wouldn't.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009