I'm bothered by this. What do you think...

Long story short..

A transgendered guy at church is going to seminary school. He leds many of our summer worships since they are lay led. He also runs the Religious Education program for the kids.

He is seeking donation on FB and now in church for Top surgery. I find this to be totally inappropriate in church and not okay for a soon to be minister. He's bragging and bragging on FB and in worship sermons how God is reaching into people's heart to donate to his Top surgery fund, bragging how many donors, how much money he has received, etc. Today he posted on the church FB page saying he'd like to get 75 donors today and asking folks to share.

I have no problem with gays or him wanting this surgery. I just think it should be left out of church and he needs to pay himself the thousands of dollars to cut off his breasts.

Would this bother you or am I just pmsing.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:02 AM on Aug. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Since he is trying to rectify a medical condition
    AND
    If medical condition fundraising is the norm for your church's FB page and within the congregation
    I see no problem
    BUT
    If it is not the norm, then yeah- it's weird and a possible abuse of position.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I consider Body dysmorphic disorder a medical condition.
    Coupled with Gender Dysphoria Symptoms it can be crippling.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I don't like people asking for donations on their own behalf, idk why but it just bothers me. If other members of the curch were asking, it would be different.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I think any time any one in a position of authority asks for personal donations, they walk a very precarious line of abusing their position of authority, and should err on the side of caution and good judgment by not going there. In my opinion, he should leave it up to the church goers to donate if they want and not participate at all in the fund raising, other than a heart felt thank you after monies have been raised
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Asking for donations bothers me, no matter where it's done.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Now I feel like a judgmental ass.
    Why?
    You were ignorant and you aren't any more. No biggie- it happens to EVERYONE!

Back to my original question.
    Does your church allow medical fundraising?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I'm Pagan and find that highly disturbing. Using the thread of God to get your followers to pay for a surgery that you should be paying for yourself is so wrong I don't have the words.

Is there someone you can report him to?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I find it inappropriate as well.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Are you simply assuming he's gay because he's transgender or has he said that he's gay?

I agree with feral, it is a medical condition. I don't know that I agree with him asking for donations like that, but not because of what it's for. I just find it...I'm not sure how to describe it. Kind of like a captive audience, I guess. You know you have to see this person regularly, so it makes you feel like you're obligated to donate.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Oh goodness no, I not assuming. He's very open about it.

I just had to ask, since I didn't see anywhere that he'd ever mentioned it. Plenty of people do make that assumption that just because someone is transgender that they must be gay.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2013