Do you pray for material things?

My brother and his wife always claim their prayer has been answered when they get something they want or anything to do with money.

Her Aunt gave them a lecture the other day about prayer not being there for material possession and praying for something doesn't mean you will get what you want. (to sum it up)

I don't think I've ever used it for that. I've prayed for strength, guidance and for my family's safety. Usually something along those lines.

What do you think about praying for items or pay raises?

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 11:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• My opinion is, you can pray to whomever, for whatever you want.

I choose to pray to the Lottery Gods.... it hasn't got me anywhere yet, but I am working on it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I have prayed for peace fo mind, which obviously includes economic wellness. I dont ask for an iPad or anything like that, but I do ask that our livelihood be sustained.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Since we are to "pray without ceasing" and sometimes my wants include material things, yes I have prayed for material items. Not like a new car or an ipad or something, but I have prayed that God would provide for my needs and enough to cover my bills. And when I was a single mom and waitressing I would often pray asking God for enough money in that shift to provide for my kids. But I pray long and often and many times my prayers have nothing to do with money or material things.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Not for things that are not going to benefit us, like a new tv. But praying for guidance as I go thru a financial situation has always helped.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I don't think so. We're not rich by any means but we have a nice little house, good cars, and generally we have what we need and sometimes what we want, but that's just from good finical planning. So we're pretty blessed as it is so I don't pray for more stuff I pray for guidance to get us through a rough spot if we are having money trouble.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 12:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• No on items or pay raises
    But I have prayed for a promotion because it would put DH into something he loved to do. As I recall he got the promotion and he did not get a raise and did not get an increase the next year because the base on the promotion was less than what he had been making. And we were just fine with that .
    I have prayed for guidance in really tough times on how to make everything stretch.

I am not sure that that can really be classified as monetary though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I have prayed for guidance or a sign, but not for "stuff."
    .Ruadh.

Answer by .Ruadh. at 3:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• It's against my religion
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I have prayed for material things...but, I also know that God gives us a good able body to WORK so that we can get paid...

I believe that God is concerned with everything in our lives...even those things we want and need.

Jesus said that we need to be content with food and clothing and that other things will be added to us if we ask in faith... But I don't use prayer as a little "bell" to ring just when I need something.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 8:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Never, God is not interested in material things.....

Answer by older at 12:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2013