How do I deal with my sexually active teen daughter?

My daughter is sixteen and is driving me crazy. My husband and I have had tons of talks with her about her self value, and staying pure but she has become really promiscuous in the last few months. She has met an older guy, and they have become sexually active. Even though I have begged her not to, she won't listen to me. I have no idea what i can do? Help?

allison.brooke

Asked by allison.brooke at 12:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Get her on birth control immediately and talk to her about sexually transmitted diseases and safe sex. You might as well pick a carrot out of the garden and have a talk with it about "staying pure" because that's about as effective as your telling her to stay pure is doing. Don't make her feel dirty for having normal teenage hormones. No one likes thinking about their teen having sex, but the likelihood of it happening is high and they need to know everything about safe sex (whether they wait to have sex until they're older or are having sex now). Have the safe sex talk now before it's too late and she ends up knocked up or has a STD or both.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Birth control. Take her to the doctor personally to get her the shot. Drag her to teen pregnancy centers and health clinics so she can see first hand the effects of teen pregnancy and HIV. All you can do is equip her with knowledge, you can't make her choices for her.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Exactly for the reason you can't keep tabs on her 24/7 you need to get her on birth control, and monitor her outings as much as you can...and I also agree about educating her on diseases....

Answer by older at 12:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Well you get George and Mark to prevent Taylor from sleeping around with Tom and Mike. Then you ask Joe to watch over Taylor, so that she doesn't spread disease and infection to Justin and Jordan. Ask Linda to help you with it. I am sure Susan and Richard can help you too. Then maybe ask Irene to help you babysit the younger ones.... Ida, Jim and Karen....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• We've always been openly talking about STD's and pregnancy together, we were very close until she met this guy. He's turning eighteen in a month so I can't press charges yet.
    I scheduled an appt to get her on birth control, im not sure what kind yet so we are talking to the doctor about it.
    allison.brooke

Comment by allison.brooke (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• You are doing the right thing, now the other thing you must prepare to do is letting go in a few years, this is never easy...

Answer by older at 1:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE!!!
    Don't try to scare her with STD's or religion, tell her the FACTS!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• And sorry, 16 is the age of consent in most states. You can't send the kid to jail, and if you try, you will push her further away!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• You monitor her time, make sure she is chaperoned at all times. If I couldn't trust my daughter, that's what I would do even if it meant I drove her to school and walked with her to every class. She is your responsibility until she is 18 and while I don't think most kids should be on lockdown, they need to learn boundaries.

Answer by missanc at 1:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Yu can restrict her comings and going but realistically she will find a way if she is determined. You do not have to make it easy for her but you can see that she is protected and take her for a GYN apt
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2013