Any good solutions on stopping children from using cuss words daily?

My 6 yr old has picked up a lot of cuss words from my uncle and his girlfriend, they literally use these words in almost ever sentence and they have no respect for others around that don't want and need to hear them. He has been getting out of hand using them and he uses them in the right way to say the least. I am at my wits end, because I don't know what to do..mom said hot sauce or soap, time outs, etc but that don't help..I'm thinking i need to have to go to the extreme..he has a chart, if he gets 10 check marks, all toys completely will be removed from his room..he will have nothing in their but his bed..not sure if it will work..kinda harsh maybe but what else can i do. If i might also mention he does have ADHD..the meds he is on don't work..we are waiting for him to see the psychiatrist so she can make the right adjustments for him. I can't move out of here but if i could i would in a heart beat..and my family who owns this apartment will not kick them out..so any suggestions would be greatful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It would be better to move yourself and son to a better environment. If someone wants something better for themselves they will find a way to get to it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Pop him in the mouth when he says it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Have you spoken to the Uncle & his GF about their vocabulary in front of your Son? If they had some common decency they could sit him down & apologize for the bad words they say & tell him that they will stop & that they don't want him to use them either. This is your home too so use your mouth too & tell them to stop every time they say a bad word in front of him. Make it a BIG deal.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• We don't have a cuss word issue but we did have a problem with the words poop, pee, crap, etc.... I started charging them a quarter every time. The problem stopped when I took a whole dollar away!! My kids hear cuss words but do not use them... they understand that there are words adults use and they are not for children.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Take away anything he enjoys if he does it. The toy idea is good. Make sure it's something that he will miss. Don't give him 10 times till you do it. Maybe try taking something each time. Then if he still gets to 10, it all goes.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 2:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Tell your uncle and friend to clean up their mouths, tell them it is making your child want to speak like they do. Take something away everytime your child cusses, go a day or 2 and then give something back. I guess that you have said, stop using those words? I know my kids love to try and get a rise out of me, but the first week of no DS player, pretty much cured the problem.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Send him away from the action, like to his room, whenever he swears. Tell him he can say those words, but only in his room by himself, not around polite company. That way you take the power of taboo out of the words. He'll get tired of cussing all by himself in his room where nothing interesting is going on. You have to do it every single time, but it worked well for my daughter, and she laid off the habit in a few days after she picked up some curses at school.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• First hopefully you do not use them
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• I have to agree with fll. Once is all that should occur.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• My kids knew not to swear around me. From an early age I niped that in the BUT.

Answer by louise2 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2013