PSA - Melanoma

I'm not sure why but we are seeing a LOT of serious scalp melanoma this summer. Just an FYI to not forget your head where sunscreen is involved, especially if your hair is thinning. If you part your hair, switch locations every now and again.

There is tinted, powdered scalp sunscreen out there that you can pick up and you won't have to deal with the greasy factor. Also some spray on stuff.

So, just to keep you aware. :)

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 2:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2013 in Health

• I had no idea there was sunscreen for your scalp.
    My FIL got sunburned the first year he finally shaved off the few remaining hairs on his head. He has always (from then) just used regular sunscreen.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Tell me more about the sunscreen
    Would love it for baby
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Great post! People also do not realize sun exposure that you get now by not applying sunscreen can turn into Cancer 10, 15 or 20 years from now. I developed Carcinoma on my lower eyelid & had to have reconstructive surgery & I caught it very early too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Feral, there are several brands but the one that one of our patients showed me was Peter Thomas Roth. She said it was around $30 but it lasts her two seasons. What you want to look for are any of the mineral sunscreens (like the mineral makeup)

Paulie, you're right. And what made me even think about it was that these are really aggressive melanomas that we are seeing
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Thank you!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• my high school sweetheart's stepmom has it :( she's had several biopsies done and luckily it's the most benign to have.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• thanks- i was mobile and hate doing searches on my phone
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Sunscreen is my best friend. My mom died from Melanoma about 4 years ago. She never was a beach person or anything either. Loved working in her garden, but always late in the evening. Just shows you that it doesn't take much to get it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Thanks for the heads up Prissy.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2013

• Since you mentioned this, I have a question for you. I spent a day at the lake last week, and when I got home, my hair felt really, really dry (which is very unusual for me, it never feels that way), didn't seem to want to get wet when I showered and was going to wash it, and just seemed very off. Is it possible for hair to sunburn? Do you know?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2013